What you loved:
- Ability - When given a chance, Cole has no problem calling a match. It's something we all would like to hear more of every show.
- WMXXX Call - Bit of a mixed bag, but his calls for Daniel Bryan's quest for the title was one of his best in 2014.
- Cole/JBL - The two have decent chemistry on Raw, and of course their internet show is still well received by you guys.
- No Storyline - Last year, WWE never put him in any terrible non-announcing roles, which is the right thing to do.
- Lawer Incident - In September, while Raw was on the air Lawler ended up having a heart attack. Cole did a great job handling the situation and it was a highlight for his career.
Best comment comes via Lordban:
"WWE gets a lot of mileage out of this man. 3 hours on RAW, 1 hour on Main Event, another 2 hours on SmackDown every week, and another 3 hours on top of that when a PPV comes. That’s a lot, considering you have quite a bit of preparation to make as well. He still does it, and makes a small number of mistakes – quite a feat in itself considering how much he’s forced to plug. And I don’t just mean shilling this or that product; he keeps having to make this or that reminder about this time next week or that show on the Network or last week on RAW/SmackDown – the man seldom gets 5 minutes of commentary without having to make a plug outside of PPVs!"
What you loathed:
- Play-by-Play - Unfortunately, while the action is going on Cole talks about pretty much everything else under the sun. As many of you pointed out this is because of...
- Vince McMahon - This time around, you made it very clear when we hear Cole, it's actually Vince (or at least someone else) feeding him lines.
- JBL/King - This threesome has just not worked, and has ranged from annoying to downright awful. Glad to see there have been some changes in the announcing teams.
- Repeat - "Oh my! Oh my! Oh my! RKO! RKO! RKO!"
- "Vintage" - At this point, we're just stuck with it, Vintage Cole!
Best comment comes via WritersBlockhead:
"The character of Michael Cole – the commentator we see on tv every week and have seen in various capacities over the last 20 or so years – is borderline insufferable. He’s essentially Vince McMahon’s mouthpiece, so giving him an honest grade is impossible. He’s a company man. He won’t rock the boat. He won’t disobey orders. He’s a toady."
On to the poll! With 321 votes, Michael Cole's average score is 2. Last year, he received a 2.
Thanks, Cagesiders! Tomorrow's pick is striking.