21 years ago today in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Eddie Gilbert and The Dark Patriot defeat The Super Destroyers in a tournament final to win the vacated ECW Tag Team Championship. The title was vacated when one half of the champions Chris Candido (as Chris Michaels, who held the titles with Johnny Hot Body as the Suicide Blondes) left for Smoky Mountain Wrestling.
13 years ago today at a Smackdown taping in Los Angeles, California, Diamond Dallas Page and Kanyon defeat the APA (Faarooq and Bradshaw) to win the WWF Tag Team Championship. On the same show, the Brothers of Destruction (Undertaker and Kane) defeat the Natural Born Thrillers (Sean O' Haire and Chuck Palumbo) to win the WCW Tag Team Championship, setting up a winner take all between the two new champions for Summerslam.
12 years ago today on the NWA-TNA weekly PPV from Nashville, Tennessee, Ron "The Truth" Killings defeated Ken Shamrock to win the NWA World Heavyweight Championship. With the win, Killings became the first, and to this day, only, recognized African-American NWA world champion ever. In he show's featured bout, Low Ki defeats AJ Styles and Jerry Lynn in a three-way bout to win the TNA X Division Championship. The match received a 4.5/5 rating from Wrestling Observer Newsletter. The complete episode is in the video above.
10 years ago today, The Rottweilers (Ricky Reyes and Rocky Romero) defeated the Second City Saints (CM Punk and Colt Cabana) to win the ROH Tag Team Championship.
8 years ago today on an episode of RAW from Memphis, Tennessee, Triple H suffered a rare pinfall loss in a singles match when he was defeated by Umaga (thanks in part to Shane and Vince McMahon). How rare was it? Before the loss, the last time he was pinned in a one-on-one match on RAW: December 12, 2005 against Kane. On the same show, John Cena F-U's and defeats Viscera. See the amazing feat of strength in the above video.
6 years ago today, TNA presented Hardcore Justice (pay link) from the Impact Zone at Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida.
- Brian Kendrick defeated Alex Shelley vs. Austin Aries in a three-way match to retain the TNA X Division Championship.
- Tara & Ms. Tessmacher defeated Mexican America (Sarita and Rosita) to retain the TNA Knockouts Tag Team Championship.
- D'Angelo Dinero defeated Devon in a Bound For Glory Series match.
- Winter defeated Mickie James to win the TNA Knockouts Championship.
- Crimson defeated Rob Van Dam by DQ in a Bound For Glory Series match.
- Fortune (A.J. Styles, Christopher Daniels, and Kazarian) defeated Immortal (Abyss, Gunner, and Scott Steiner).
- Bully Ray defeated Mr. Anderson.
- Beer Money, Inc. (Bobby Roode and James Storm) defeated Mexican America (Anarquia and Hernandez) to retain the TNA World Tag Team Championship.
- Kurt Angle defeated Sting to win the TNA World Heavyweight Championship.
Happy 48th birthday to Christine Wolf, best known as Asya from her brief run in WCW. The former Hawaiian Tropic model and bodybuilder made her WCW debut as Ric Flair's head nurse Double D (no, I'm not making that up) in 1999. Later in the year, she joined the Revolution stable and was renamed Asya as a shot at the WWF's Chyna. After a string of small feuds, she would be briefly involved on-screen with "The Demon" Dale Torborg; the two were engaged at the time. Torborg and Wolf would marry in October 2000, just over a month after Wolf's release. Wolf retired from wrestling after her release and resumed her career in bodybuilding as well as performed in barrel races.