WWE Main Event comes waltzing back into our lives tonight (Tues., July 8, 2014) from the Canadian Tire Centre in Ottawa and we'll have complete results and a live blog for the show right when it kicks off at 8 p.m. ET on the WWE Network.
Tonight's show will feature Sheamus defending the United States championship against Alberto Del Rio, and Chris Jericho hosting "The Highlight Reel" with special guest Bret Hart.
Be sure to come back here at 8 p.m. ET for the Main Event live blog.
WWE MAIN EVENT RESULTS & LIVE BLOG JULY 8
- My stream was jumpy, so I came in with Sheamus in the ring talking to Alberto Del Rio on the titantron about what a Last Man Standing match is and how they're going to have one and it will be brutal. No one in the audience seemed to care about this at all and there was zero reaction when Del Rio's music hit to come out for the match itself.
- Like in times past, they opened the show with the advertised main event. It was never a wrestling match, as the two immediately brawled to the outside and started using foreign objects, like Sheamus taking the top off the announce desk and chucking it at Del Rio before Del Rio broke out a kendo stick and starting caning old Irish. The finish was Del Rio getting put through a table, then getting up at nine. A follow up Brogue Kick finished the job. Sheamus retains the U.S. championship.
- They announced Bray Wyatt vs. Chris Jericho for Battleground. Then Jericho did an interview with Renee Young. He talked about hitting Miz with a "Codebreaker to his moneymaker" and then "along came a spider". Great reference. He basically repeated the promo he cut on "Raw Fallout" from last night. He'll step on Wyatt and squash him and all that.
- Nikki Bella vs. the entire cast of Total Divas was next. Yes, a 5-on-1 match. They gave the back story here, that Nikki was paying for the sins of her sister Brie, who slapped the taste out of Stephanie McMahon's mouth back at Payback. They announced it would be 6-on-1 but Cameron wasn't there. They did the match with Naomi and Natalya never tagging in and taking part in the beating. Nikki put up a valiant effort against Eva Marie, Summer Rae, and Rosa Mendes, but ultimately went down to a DDT from Eva. Cameron ran in after the match and kicked Nikki in the face before Naomi ran her off. Natalya consoled Nikki in the ring while the heels on the cast left.
- Chris Jericho was out next for "The Highlight Reel" with special guest Bret Hart. They're in Ottawa, so he was hugely over. Bret got a solid pop. He said it was great to be back in the "capital" and to be on Main Event for the first time. It's an exciting time in WWE, what with the Network and all that. Bret started telling stories about his sister tapping out Jericho when he was training in the infamous Hart family Dungeon. Chris looked genuinely touched by this. The fans chanted for him while he put over Bret's sister as a tough chick. Jericho asked Bret about his best rivalries. He brought up Steve Austin, of course, but said he had to admit Shawn Michaels was his greatest. That cued up "Sexy Boy" and out came THE HEARTBREAK SANDOW. Jericho made fun of him immediately, saying "you've let yourself go" and then attacking him for being ugly. "You look like a big ugly fish with a beard," he said. Sandow apologized to Jericho for "not paying the light bill on your jacket", which was a great line. Sandow ran down Jericho for calling Bret his idol when it was he who made Chris want to wrestle. He said after tonight they'll be talking about the Ottawa Screwjob. So Bret punched him again and then locked in the Sharpshooter. Jericho demanded they "ring the bell" and that was that.