WWE's Money In The Bank 2014 lasted for 2 hours 55 minutes and 51 seconds (2h 55m 51s). Here is a breakdown of the timing for every single second of the show, in chronological order.
The matches are in bold. The "pre-match" includes video packages, entrances, ring introductions, and any verbal promos that occur right before a match officially begins. The "post-match" includes any celebrations, replays, angles, attacks, or promos that occur right after a match is finished.
- 0m 20s: WWE's "Then, Now, Forever" opening
- 2m 27s: Video hyping Money In The Bank 2014
- 0m 55s: Opening pyro as Cole welcomes us to Money In The Bank 2014
- 3m 48s: Pre-match for The Usos vs Rowan and Harper
- 13m 14s: The Usos vs Rowan and Harper
- 1m 47s: Post-match for The Usos vs Rowan and Harper
- 2m 18s: Video recap of The Shield's breakup
- 1m 11s: Ambrose promo backstage
- 2m 48s: Pre-match for Paige vs Naomi
- 7m 03s: Paige vs Naomi
- 0m 57s: Post-match for Paige vs Naomi
- 0m 46s: Commentators hype WWE Network
- 2m 46s: Expert panel analysis with Renee, Riley, Booker T, and Christian
- 3m 23s: Video - Money In The Bank By The Numbers
- 2m 51s: Pre-match for Paul Revere vs Adam Rose
- 4m 17s: Paul Revere vs Adam Rose
- 1m 39s: Post-match for Paul Revere vs Adam Rose
- 0m 35s: Commercial for WWE Shop
- 0m 17s: Jon Stewart is in the audience
- 7m 12s: Pre-match for MITB Contract Ladder Match
- 23m 15s: MITB Contract Ladder Match
- 3m 37s: Post-match for MITB Contract Ladder Match
- 1m 19s: Orton promo backstage
- 0m 58s: Commercial for Excuse Me! A Cougar Countdown
- 0m 36s: Commentators hype WWE Network
- 3m 04s: Pre-match for Rybaxel vs Stardust and Goldust
- 7m 35s: Rybaxel vs Stardust and Goldust
- 1m 29s: Post-match for Rybaxel vs Stardust and Goldust
- 0m 31s: Commercial for WWE Battleground 2014
- 0m 16s: Cole talks about Boston
- 0m 33s: Review of twitter exchange between Fandango, Summer Rae, and Layla
- 1m 08s: Video recap of Layla and Summer Rae pouring milk and kitty litter on each other
- 1m 46s: Backstage interview featuring Fandango, Summer Rae, and Layla
- 4m 38s: Pre-match for Rusev vs Big E
- 7m 19s: Rusev vs Big E
- 1m 37s: Post-match for Rusev vs Big E
- 0m 30s: Video - Don't Try This At Home
- 1m 35s: Expert panel analysis
- 1m 48s: Video recap of pre-show segment featuring Bryan and Bo Dallas
- 2m 37s: Backstage segment featuring Stephanie and the Bella twins
- 0m 31s: Commercial for Diet Dew
- 2m 06s: Pre-match for Layla vs Summer Rae
- 3m 08s: Layla vs Summer Rae
- 1m 24s: Post-match for Layla vs Summer Rae
- 0m 31s: Movie trailer for Road To Paloma
- 0m 24s: ESPN SportsCenter anchor Robert Flores is in the audience
- 0m 29s: Commentators hype WWE Network
- 11m 58s: Pre-match for 8-Man WWE WHC Ladder Match (with a 3m 29s video package)
- 26m 30s: 8-Man WWE WHC Ladder Match
- 2m 05s: Post-match for 8-Man WWE WHC Ladder Match
The pre-match segments combined for a total time of 38m 25s, which is 21.8% of the show.
Here is the sorted list of pre-match segment time for all 8 matches:
- 11m 58s: 8-Man WWE WHC Ladder Match (including The Authority's 0m 54s entrance)
- 7m 12s: MITB Contract Ladder Match (with a 1m 55s video where each superstar explains why they will win)
- 4m 38s: Rusev vs Big E (with a 1m 35s promo from Lana and Rusev)
- 3m 48s: The Usos vs Rowan and Harper (with a 0m 45s Raw recap of their feud)
- 3m 04s: Rybaxel vs Stardust and Goldust
- 2m 51s: Paul Revere vs Adam Rose (with a 0m 55s Revere promo and a 0m 22s Rose promo)
- 2m 48s: Paige vs Naomi
- 2m 06s: Layla vs Summer Rae (including Fandango's 0m 46s entrance)
Money In The Bank 2014 also included 28 separate pre-match superstar entrances. These 28 entrances took up a total time of 25m 01s. Here is the sorted list of these 28 entrance times:
- 1m 35s: The Usos (with a 0m 31s intro of both announce teams)
- 1m 31s: Stardust and Goldust (with a 0m 26s plug for WWE Slam City)
- 1m 30s: Rybaxel (with a 0m 44s Raw recap of Stardust's debut)
- 1m 23s: Naomi (with a 0m 35s Raw recap of her issues with Paige and Cameron)
- 1m 22s: John Cena
- 1m 21s: Rusev (with Lana)
- 1m 17s: Bray Wyatt
- 1m 12s: Big E (with a 0m 25s inset promo from Big E)
- 1m 05s: Rowan and Harper
- 1m 05s: Paige (with a 0m 10s plug for Diet Dew)
- 1m 03s: Seth Rollins
- 0m 54s: The Authority (with a 0m 14s review of Triple H's tweet about the Rollins victory)
- 0m 54s: Roman Reigns
- 0m 53s: Adam Rose
- 0m 47s: Kane (with a 0m 20s plug for WWE Battleground 2014)
- 0m 46s: Fandango
- 0m 46s: Layla
- 0m 43s: Dolph Ziggler
- 0m 39s: Randy Orton
- 0m 37s: Cesaro
- 0m 35s: RVD
- 0m 34s: Jack Swagger
- 0m 31s: Summer Rae
- 0m 30s: Kofi Kingston
- 0m 27s: Alberto Del Rio
- 0m 25s: Sheamus
- 0m 19s: Dean Ambrose
- 0m 17s: Paul Revere
Two other entrances occurred during the show outside of the usual pre-match segments. Kane's entrance music played for about 0m 15s during his interruption of the MITB Contract Ladder Match. The Authority's entrance music played for about 1m 25s in a post-match segment where Triple H and Stephanie appeared on the ramp to celebrate the MITB victory for Seth Rollins. When these two entrance times are added to all of the 28 pre-match entrance times listed above, it results in a total show time of 26m 41s devoted to 30 superstar entrances.
The list above shows that WWE had to get through so many superstar entrances on this show that they rushed through many of the ladder match entrances in order to free up some time. Notice that out of all 14 ladder match entrances, Kane's is the only one that included any extras (like plugs for WWE products or video recaps). Meanwhile the entrance times of several of the tag teams rose to the top of the list because most of them did include these additional factors.
There were 30 total entrances on this card with an average entrance time of 0m 53s. For comparison's sake, Payback 2014 included 21 total superstar entrances with an average entrance time of 1m 10s. Extreme Rules 2014 included 16 total superstar entrances with an average entrance time of 1m 10s. WrestleMania 30 included 18 total superstar entrances with an average entrance time of 2m 12s.
The pre-match segments also stood out for their lack of dedicated video packages. For the most part each WWE PPV has 2 or 3 dedicated video packages per show that air before the 2 or 3 biggest matches on the card. For example, pretty much every John Cena match is guaranteed to feature one of these types of video packages that reviews the story of the feud in dramatic detail. Money In The Bank 2014 only featured one such video package on the show, and that was prior to the main event match.
The post-match segments combined for a total time of 14m 35s, which is 8.3% of the show.
Here is the sorted list of total post-match segment time for all 8 matches:
- 3m 37s: MITB Contract Ladder Match
- 2m 05s: 8-Man WWE WHC Ladder Match
- 1m 47s: The Usos vs Rowan and Harper
- 1m 39s: Paul Revere vs Adam Rose
- 1m 37s: Rusev vs Big E
- 1m 29s: Rybaxel vs Stardust and Goldust
- 1m 24s: Layla vs Summer Rae
- 0m 57s: Paige vs Naomi
The post-match segments at Money In The Bank 2014 didn't contribute anything meaningful to the show. The only noteworthy occurrence was The Authority making an entrance and standing on stage to celebrate the MITB Contract victory with Seth Rollins.
The post-match segment for Paige versus Naomi was the third shortest of the year (out of 41 total PPV matches). The only ones than ranked even lower were the 14-Diva Invitational (0m 56s) at WrestleMania 30 and the match between Titus O'Neil and Darren Young at Elimination Chamber 2014 (0m 26s).
The 8 matches combined for a bell-to-bell time of 1h 32m 21s. This means that 52.5% of the show was devoted to in-ring action. That percentage is about as low as it gets for 3-hour WWE PPV's since the start of 2013. Night Of Champions 2013 currently holds the crown with 52.4%. WrestleMania 29 and WrestleMania 30 also clock in below this percentage for match time.
The average match time at Money In The Bank 2014 was 11m 33s. Here is the sorted list of match times for Money In The Bank 2014. This also includes where each match currently ranks on the list of WWE's Longest PPV Match Times for 2014.
- 26m 30s: 8-Man WWE WHC Ladder Match (4th longest out of 41 total matches)
- 23m 15s: MITB Contract Ladder Match (9th)
- 13m 14s: The Usos vs Rowan and Harper (18th)
- 7m 35s: Rybaxel vs Stardust and Goldust (26th)
- 7m 19s: Rusev vs Big E (27th)
- 7m 03s: Paige vs Naomi (29th)
- 4m 17s: Paul Revere vs Adam Rose (34th)
- 3m 08s: Layla vs Summer Rae (37th)
Daniel Bryan has now gone two straight PPV events without accumulating any match time. Prior to Payback 2014, Bryan had wrestled on an astounding 29 consecutive PPV events. The last one he missed before that streak was Survivor Series 2011.
The new iron man in this regard is now Randy Orton, who has wrestled on 18 consecutive PPV events. The last one he missed was TLC 2012. Orton's streak was saved by the extremely brief MITB cash-in match at SummerSlam 2013. It should be noted, however, that Bryan's streak started off with a MITB cash-in match at TLC 2011, and it also included the infamous 18-seconds incident with Sheamus at WrestleMania 28.
The full list of wrestlers who have accumulated match time on the main card of every single PPV this year include Orton, Cena, Wyatt, Rollins, Ambrose, Reigns, Cesaro, and Big E. Batista dropped off the list after missing Money In The Bank 2014.
Money In The Bank 2014 included 5 matches that lasted under 8m 00s in length. The pre-match segment for the main event was longer than each of these 5 matches.
The only PPV since the start of 2013 with this many matches under 8m 00s in length was SummerSlam 2013, and that includes the 0m 08s MITB cash-in match between Orton and Bryan.
The match time for Revere versus Rose (4m 17s) was less than the combined pre-match and post-match segment times for that match (4m 30s). This is also true of the Layla versus Summer Rae match, where the match time was 3m 08s but the combined pre-match and post-match segments lasted 3m 30s.
The match with the best ratio in this regard was The Usos versus Rowan and Harper, where the match time (13m 14s) more than doubled the combined pre-match and post-match segment times (5m 35s).
Since the start of 2013, Meltzer has rated 23 WWE PPV matches with a score of at least 3.75 stars. The Usos versus Rowan and Harper is the shortest match among these 23 highly-rated bouts. 20 of those 23 matches lasted at least 15m 00s. It is very difficult to attain a score of 3.75 stars or higher without being given 15 minutes of match time, but Rowan, Harper, and The Usos found a way to accomplish that feat.
Finally, here is the all-time list of match times for MITB ladder matches. I'm including the WWE WHC ladder match in here, but it might not actually belong since it was not for a MITB contract:
- 26m 38s: 2013 WWE Championship (Orton wins)
- 26m 30s: 2014 Ladder match for the WWE WHC (CenaWinsLOL)
- 26m 18s: 2010 Smackdown (Kane wins)
- 24m 27s: 2011 Smackdown (Bryan wins)
- 23m 15s: 2014 MITB contract (Rollins wins)
- 20m 27s: 2010 Raw (Miz wins)
- 20m 04s: 2012 WWE Championship (CenaWinsLOL)
- 19m 10s: WrestleMania 23 (Kennedy wins)
- 18m 30s: 2012 WHC (Ziggler wins)
- 16m 24s: 2013 WHC (Sandow wins)
- 15m 52s: 2011 Raw (ADR wins)
- 15m 17s: WrestleMania 21 (Edge wins)
- 14m 24s: WrestleMania 25 (Punk wins)
- 13m 55s: WrestleMania 24 (Punk wins)
- 13m 44s: WrestleMania 26 (Swagger wins)
- 12m 22s: WrestleMania 22 (RVD wins)
That leaves about 30m 30s (17.3%) of the show for everything else. This is the largest percentage in this category thus far in 2014. The only 2013 PPV that had a higher mark here was Night Of Champions. Money In The Bank 2014 definitely had ton of filler material between matches, including 3 separate spots where the announcers were just blatantly shilling for the WWE Network.
These miscellaneous segments also include a commercial for Diet Dew, a commercial for Excuse Me! A Cougar Countdown, a brief movie trailer for Road To Paloma, showing celebrities in the audience, a video recap of The Shield's breakup, backstage promos, a commercial for WWE Shop, a recap of Bryan's segment from the pre-show, expert panel analysis, Money In The Bank By The Numbers video, Don't Try This At Home video, a commercial for WWE Battleground 2014, a recap of the Fandango love triangle, a backstage segment with the Bella twins, and so forth.
The backstage segment with the Bella twins and Stephanie McMahon included a 0m47s video recap of Stephanie McMahon being dumped into the pool of mysterious brown liquid.
Here is a listing of how much total show time was allocated for each match when you add up all 3 components: pre-match time, match time, and post-match time.
- 40m 33s: 8-Man WWE WHC Ladder Match (23.1% of the show)
- 34m 04s: MITB Contract Ladder Match (19.4%)
- 18m 49s: The Usos vs Rowan and Harper (10.7%)
- 13m 34s: Rusev vs Big E (7.7%)
- 12m 08s: Rybaxel vs Stardust and Goldust (6.9%)
- 10m 48s: Paige vs Naomi (6.1%)
- 8m 47s: Paul Revere vs Adam Rose (5.0%)
- 6m 38s: Layla vs Summer Rae (3.8%)
The eight percentages listed above are eerily similar to the eight percentages from Payback 2014, which were 23.2%, 21.0%, 10.5%, 8.1%, 6.9%, 6.6%, 5.3%, and 3.8%.
The total time listed for Layla versus Summer Rae does not include the backstage interview segment where Fandango admitted that he loves triangles. It also excludes the part where the commentators were discussing the tweets behind that feud. If you include those elements as part of their time, it would bump up their total show time up to 10m 05s.
Here is an hourly breakdown showing how the pre-match, match, post-match, and miscellaneous segment times were scattered across each hour of the show.
Hour One - Includes Usos vs Rowan/Harper, Paige vs Naomi, Revere vs Rose
Match - 40.9% - 24m 34s
Pre-match -26.8% - 16m 05s
Post-match -7.3% - 4m 23s
Miscellaneous - 24.9% - 14m 58s
Hour Two - Includes MITB Contract Ladder Match, Rybaxel vs Dust Bros, and Rusev vs Big E
Match -63.6% - 38m 09s
Pre-match -13.8% - 8m 16s
Post-match -10.8% - 6m 28s
Miscellaneous -11.9% - 7m 07s
Hour Three (actually 55m 51s) - Includes Summer vs Layla, 8-Man WWE WHC Ladder match
Match -53.1% - 29m 38s
Pre-match -25.2% - 14m 04s
Post-match -6.7% - 3m 44s
Miscellaneous -15.1% - 8m 25s
The third hour lasted 55m 51s. That makes Money In The Bank 2014 the second longest 3-hour PPV that WWE has hosted since the start of 2013. The only show that lasted longer was last month's Payback 2014.
Final Results for Money In The Bank 2014
Match - 52.5% - 1h 32m 21s
Pre-match - 21.8% - 38m 25s
Post-match - 8.3% - 14m 35s
Miscellaneous - 17.3% - 30m 30s