17 years ago today, ECW held Heatwave '97 from the ECW Arena in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Featured bouts included Taz defeating Lance Storm by submission to retain the ECW World Television Championship, Shane Douglas getting disqualified against ECW World Champion Terry Funk when Douglas bit Funk's ear (ECW had limits. Who knew?), and The Gangstas defeating the Dudley Boyz in a steel cage weapons match to win the ECW World Tag Team Championships. Interestingly enough, it would be the final appearance for Mustafa Saeed, as he would leave the company shortly after the event. New Jack would forfeit the tag titles about a month later without a defense.
5 years ago today, TNA presented Victory Road (pay link) from the Impact Zone at Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida. The show was a runaway winner for Worst Major Show by Wrestling Observer Newsletter, with 82% of the vote. The show also featured the TNA debut of Taz, who left WWE just before Wrestlemania 25. The above video is Figure Four Weekly Online's Bryan and Vinny reviewing the show (video courtesy of Youtuber randyHEADLOCKOrton). Three words: MINUS. FIVE. STARS.
- Angelina Love defeated Tara to win the TNA Knockouts Championship.
- Matt Morgan defeated Daniels.
- Abyss defeated Dr. Stevie in a no disqualification match.
- Team 3D (Brother Devon & Brother Ray) defeated The British Invasion (Brutus Magnus & Doug Williams) to retain the IWGP Tag Team Championship.
- Jenna Morasca defeated Sharmell. This match won Wrestling Observer Newsletter's Worst Worked Match of 2009.
- Kevin Nash defeated AJ Styles to win the TNA Legends Championship.
- Booker T & Scott Steiner defeated Beer Money Inc. (James Storm & Robert Roode) to win the TNA World Tag Team Championship.
- Samoa Joe defeated Sting.
- Kurt Angle defeated Mick Foley to retain the TNA World Heavyweight Championship.