It's been the clear direction dating back to that fateful night when The Shield were broken up thanks to a chair shot or 30 on Monday Night Raw but there was never an opportunity for a one-on-one showdown.
Now there is.
Indeed, WWE.com brings word that Seth Rollins vs. Dean Ambrose will take place at the upcoming Battleground pay-per-view (PPV) set for Sun., July 20, 2014, at the Tampa Bay Times Forum in Tampa, Florida.
On July 20, Dean Ambrose and Seth Rollins will wage war, as the two former Shield teammates will meet head-on in singles competition at WWE Battleground, WWE.com has learned. The match has been in the making ever since Rollins turned on his Shield brethren on June 2.
No special stipulations for this one. It is a grudge match, after all, and it's the first in the series if we aren't counting the Money in the Bank ladder match the two competed in against each other (and four other guys).
Hopefully, it's the first of many.
Here's the updated Battleground match card and line-up:
- John Cena vs. Roman Reigns vs. Randy Orton vs. Kane (WWE championship)
- Intercontinental championship battle royal
- Chris Jericho vs. Bray Wyatt
- AJ Lee vs. Paige (Divas championship)
- The Usos vs. The Wyatt Family (Tag team championship)
- Dean Ambrose vs. Seth Rollins