First, a word from D.E.O.:
"I’ve met quite a few Pro Wrestlers in my lifetime and Tonga Fifita is by far the most intimidating. He’s not the tallest. Nor is he the most muscular. But his presence weighs a ton. I remember seeing him at a store when I was a still in Middle School. I kid you not, the air around him felt heavier. Even when he jovially greeted me and other fans with a smile, you could tell that this was a different kind of human being."
What you loved:
- Legit Tough - Harley Race and Andre the Giant were scared of the guy, and that says it all.
- In-Ring - Solid performer in the ring, had a stiff style that from a fan's perspective was awesome.
- Tongan Death Grip - Awesome name, looks painful.
- Islanders - Solid tag-team managed by Bobby Heenan.
- King - He was King of the Ring, before there was such a thing.
Best comment comes via TJ_UK:
"Andre the f***ing Giant feared Meng. Andre. One of the biggest men in wrestling if not the world was afraid of Meng. In wrestling being believable is important to me, Meng was incredibly believable as a legit badass. I wish I had been around when he was wrestling because his strikes look stiff as hell and from what I’ve got to see of him, he could put on a solid match. Also did I mention he just looked like an ass-kicker? I mean just looking at him makes me think…well Jake Roberts put it best: 'If I had a gun and was sitting inside a tank with one shell left and Meng is 300 yards away, he’s mine, right? Well the first thing I’m going to do is jump out of the tank and shoot myself because I don’t want to wound that son of a bitch and have him pissed off at me.'"
What you loathed:
- ... - He's great, no problems here!
- One-Dimensional - Okay, we have to put something down, so his characters (Island Savage) were all pretty similar, and stereotypical to boot.
- Under-Utilized - He should have carried a major title at one point in his career. He had the talent to be over with the crowd in singles' competition.
- Promos - Never was strong on the mic, that's what Heenan was for though.
- Dungeon of Doom - Any association with this group gets automatically put in this section.
Best comment comes via Blinkocracy:
"He wasn’t in WWF when it came time for the Brawl for All. If he had been, instead of being remembered for being an embarrassing mess, it’d be remembered as 'that time Meng killed four mid-carders dead on national television.' Now that would be good TV."
On to the poll! With 163 votes, Haku's average score is 4.
Thanks, Cagesiders! Tomorrow is recap day with updated poll scores and the best comments of the week.