What you loved:
- Creepy - Dude ate worms, and put them on other people's faces!
- Commitment - Did everything he could to make the gimmick work, and for that we applaud him.
- Clock - During his entrance, he smashed a clock over his head on a nightly basis.
- Gimmick - Boogey loved to hide in random places to scare other wrestlers. Amazing face paint, the smoke, and of course his catchphrase: "I'm the Boogeyman!...and I'm comin' to getcha!" Can't forget that crazy shake dance.
- Physique - For being around 40, he was in incredible shape.
Best comment comes via alexdgreenfield:
"We were doing a house show in Atlantic City once and Boogeyman had a really scary asthma attack. I took him to the hospital and waited around with him. It was pretty rare that that the person I interacted with was Marty Wright and not the gimmick. Man, he was good people. He lied about his age for tough enough because he loved wrestling so much, and dude… seeing a guy find his dream after years of striving was positively inspirational. The best thing was that despite what Marty himself was dealing with, he still turned it on when a kid in the waiting room laid eyes on him. In 0.3 seconds, he went from a human being to a supernatural character and made a kid with a broken arm’s night. It was one of the most amazing transformations I’ve ever seen."
What you loathed:
- In-Ring - Not great in the ring, part of this was getting into the game at a later age.
- Short WWE Life - He was in the WWE for four years, but it seemed shorter due to...
- Injuries - His body couldn't quite keep up with rugged WWE schedule.
- Channel Changer - Few of you couldn't handle the gimmick or worms and instantly flipped to anything else.
- Age - To get on Tough Enough he lied about his age. I guess we loath the lying part, but he did what was needed to get a chance at being on the roster.
Best comment comes via Cain A. Knight:
"Boogeyman is one of the worst gimmicks that WWE ever ran with, and I cringed every time he popped up on screen. He evoked more of the "change the channel and don’t let anybody know that you are a wrestling fan" sentiment from me than perhaps any other gimmick ever, including Khali and/or Hornswoggle comedy segments. And screw you WWE for having Booker T job to this joke at WM 22. This is just the dumbest shit ever. Forget you Vince McMahon or whoever the hell thought this was acceptable. Professional wrestling needs Quality Control to make sure that mistakes like this aren’t allowed to make television. This is the worst of the worst."
On to the poll! With 220 votes, The Boogeyman's average 2.9
Thanks, Cagesiders! Tomorrow's pick probably hung out at cemeteries a lot.