In hindsight, Cody Rhodes needing to take some time off to go marry his longtime girlfriend was the best thing that could have happened to him, both personally and professionally. With The Authority firmly establishing itself around the same time frame, it opened the door to some great storytelling.
Rhodes found himself working an emotional match against his former mentor, WWE World Heavyweight Champion Randy Orton, with the added stipulation that he would be fired for losing. That's exactly what happened. What followed was the return of Goldust, Cody's brother, and Dusty Rhodes, Cody's father, to lobby for his job back.
That led to an outstanding match between Goldust and Orton, a great segment with Dusty, Triple H, and Stephanie McMahon, and, ultimately, one of the best matches of the year at Battleground against The Shield.
This was fun.
Here are the full results of our poll:
- Rhodes Family vs. The Authority (79 votes)
- Daniel Bryan vs. The Authority (69 votes)
- CM Punk vs. Undertaker (34 votes)
- The Shield vs. Team Hell No (22 votes)
- Sami Zayn vs. Antonio Cesaro (13 votes)
- John Cena vs. Daniel Bryan (8 votes)
- Alberto Del Rio vs. Dolph Ziggler (6 votes)