Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- As of right now, the plan for the Daniel Bryan vs. Randy Orton match at this weekend's Battleground pay per view is that the match will be an Iron Man match with an "indecisive conclusion," leaving the door open for a final, decisive match between the two at Hell in a Cell later in October.
- We now know that the Alberto Del Rio vs. Rob Van Dam match for the World Heavyweight title will be fought under hardcore rules. It is believed that this will set up Van Dam's upcoming hiatus, with him receiving a lengthy post-match beat down from Del Rio. Though there have been some conflicting reports, Van Dam is said to be working on a deal that has him active for 90 days, then a 90 day break, then another 90 days of activity. If Van Dam leaves following Battleground, as most expect, he could be be a surprise entrant at Royal Rumble in January and then finish up that 90 day sprint at WrestleMania 30 in April.
- Speaking of the World Heavyweight title, Damien Sandow teased cashing in his Money in the Bank briefcase at a house show on Saturday night. Van Dam laid Del Rio out following a match where Sandow attempted to cash in. Van Dam stopped Sandow with a kick and a frog splash. Unfortunately for the Sandow fans in the audience, past rumors suggested that Sandow isn't likely to cash in anytime soon.
- Sami Zayn vs. Bo Dallas for the NXT title is being promoted for the October 3 NXT house show in Tampa, FL. Often times, WWE will give match ups a test run at house shows before bringing them to television. (Or in the case of NXT, online.)
- While no one will confuse WWE with TNA when it comes to financial success, even WWE needs to reel in the spending from time to time. It is now being said that WWE will no longer be sending "non-essential" personnel to house shows. This includes managers and on-screen authority figures. They will still continue to appear on television and at high-priority house shows, such as those on overseas tours.
- Ken Shamrock continues to tell everyone who will listen, both in interviews and on Twitter, that he is interested in returning to WWE. At this point, it seems highly unlikely that WWE reciprocates that interest in a 49 year old, washed-up MMA star.
- Another casualty in TNA's ongoing attempts to save money could be their relationship with their developmental territory, Ohio Valley Wrestling. TNA producer John "Big" Gaburick met with the OVW locker room last week but it is currently unknown what came from that meeting.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.