Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we will be taking a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
The Return of the Undertaker?
When pictures of the Undertaker attending the Nashville Predators game Sunday night (Feb. 10) surfaced yesterday morning, the internet wrestling community was abuzz with rumors and speculation that the "Deadman" may be making his yearly return in order to build towards WrestleMania 29. (CageSide Seats of course had you covered with all the details.) Well, Monday night's episode of Raw came and went with no appearance by the "Phenom."
But it is not yet time to fret 'Taker fans. There is still plenty of time for the Undertaker's storylines to come together, if he is indeed planning to extend his undefeated streak at WrestleMania to 21-0.
And that is the big question these days.
Rumors over the past several weeks have suggested the Undertaker is in bad shape physically. He reportedly damaged his hip replacement during his WrestleMania 28 match with Triple H, putting his wrestling future in serious doubt. It has even been suggested that, behind the scenes, Undertaker's friends and family are trying to convince him not to wrestle this year.
As with most wrestling rumors, it is hard to say where the truth lies on this one. These rumors could all be part of a work, meant to make his eventual return all the more surprising.
If the Undertaker does return for another match at WrestleMania 29, it is believed that his opponent will be none other than the longest reigning champion of the modern era of WWE wrestling: CM Punk. If Undertaker is unable to wrestle, the plans for Punk are not clear.
Several weeks ago, when the rumors of Undertaker possibly missing the event began to surface, it was said that adding Punk to the WWE Championship match between the Rock and John Cena was not an option. WWE may have softened its stance in this regard, however, due to the lack of an acceptable alternative for Punk.
Whatever happens, make sure to stay tuned to the CSS Daily Rumor Roundup in the coming weeks for any new rumors regarding the Undertaker and the plans for him as we continue down "the road to WrestleMania 29."
Other Rumors for the Day:
- Rey Mysterio is not yet back to work on a full schedule. He returned briefly for last month's Royal Rumble pay per view (PPV) but was (kayfabe) injured by a returning Mark Henry on last week's (Feb. 4) episode of Monday Night Raw. As a former world champion, he was originally given a spot in the chamber match at this Sunday's (Feb. 17) Elimination Chamber PPV. The six spots are currently filled by Randy Orton, Daniel Bryan, Mark Henry, Chris Jericho, Jack Swagger, and Kane. The possibility still remains that one of these six may lose his spot on Friday night's (Feb. 15) episode of WWE Smackdown to open up the possibility of a surprise entrant at the PPV event itself.
- Though CM Punk insists he is "fine" after an injury scare during a match at a house show this past weekend with the Miz, there was concern backstage that he may have been more seriously injured than he let on, as he doesn't want to miss any time during WrestleMania season.
- Speaking of that incident, there is not expected to be any punishment levied on the Miz.The injury occurred when the Miz botched a suplex attempt, dropping Punk onto his head.
- Those holding out hope that the planned match between the Shield and Ryback/John Cena/Sheamus will be in the chamber may be in luck. Despite being shot down by most credible sources, the rumor that the match will be a WCW War Games styled elimination match persists. This was further supported by a tweet from Ryback yesterday (Feb. 11) reading:
"Justice will be delivered hard to @theshieldwwe this sunday in NOLA in The Chamber. #FeedMeMore"
- TNA's Lockdown PPV, taking place on Sunday, March 10 from the Alamodome in San Antonio, TX, may only feature one or two cage matches on the card; as opposed to every match, as in previous years.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have some fun with them.