Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- Last week, we noted that a "major celebrity" was a "serious buyer" for TNA now that it is reportedly up for sale. It has now come out that the celebrity in question is The Smashing Pumpkins frontman (and huge wrestling fan) Billy Corgan. Though Dixie Carter continues to tell anyone who will listen that the company is not for sale, multiple sources are stating that Panda Energy, the company owned by Dixie's parents which owns TNA, is looking to sell majority ownership in TNA. Corgan reportedly leads an investment group trying to acquire the company and was in Nashville, TN, late last week discussing the sale. Corgan has some experience running pro wrestling events, having previously run shows under the name "Resistance Pro Wrestling" in the Chicago, IL, area. In an interesting side note, Corgan has a good relationship with Paul Heyman, and was willing to pay to keep ECW afloat back when Heyman still owned the company but the two sides couldn't agree on a deal.
- In another interesting, TNA-related development which occurred over the weekend, Hulk Hogan and WWE are said to have reached a verbal agreement on a deal over the weekend, which is said to include a surprise entrance in January's Royal Rumble pay per view (PPV) and likely a spot at WrestleMania 30 in some capacity. You can read more about it here.
- There is still no word on when Intercontinental champion Curtis Axel will be returning to the ring after suffering a hip injury prior to last week's Hell in a Cell PPV. Axel was set to have a match on the "kickoff" pre-show against Big E Langston, where rumors indicate he was going to lose the title. (Langston would later unsuccessfully battle US champion Dean Ambrose.)
- Former WWE Diva Brandi Stiles, real name Brandi Runnels, has re-signed with the company and will be reporting to the Performance Center in Florida for training soon. If her real name sounds familiar, it's because she recently married Cody Rhodes, aka Cody Runnels.
- A few weeks ago, we mentioned that some TNA officials were meeting with Ohio Valley Wrestling (OVW) officials to discuss the future of their relationship. As expected, TNA has elected to sever ties with their developmental territory in a cost-cutting move.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.