Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- Big things may be coming CM Punk's way in the near future. As of right now, following the end of his program with Paul Heyman, it is believed that Punk will be entering the WWE title picture. Speculation seems to be divided as to whether this will happen after this weekend's Battleground pay-per-view (PPV) or Hell in a Cell at the end of the month. Considering that previous rumors suggested that Battleground's Daniel Bryan/Randy Orton match for the WWE title will end indecisively in order to extend their feud through Hell in a Cell, it likely means that Punk won't get his chance until after then. It also makes sense for Punk's feud with Heyman to end in the cell, as an uninterrupted beat down of Heyman by Punk in the cell would make for a decisive conclusion to their feud.
- While you can't read too much into things like this far in advance, the advertising for November's Survivor Series PPV is heavily pushing the Wyatt Family, CM Punk, and Daniel Bryan. The Wyatt family appears on the event poster, but the inclusion of Punk and Bryan specifically is intriguing. Could they be doing battle for the WWE title at the event?
- When word first broke last month the Rhodes family was headed for a showdown with the Shield at Battleground, many were uncomfortable with the idea of 67 year old Dusty stepping in the ring with his sons. WWE's decision makers eventually made the right call to exclude Dusty from the match itself, instead having him ringside to merely support Cody and Goldust. However, if Vince McMahon had his way, Dusty would be in that match. The rest of the WWE creative brain trust managed to talk him out of that idea, and for that, those of us who don't want to see a repeat of the Jerry Lawler heart attack situation, are thankful.
- WWE is contemplating two more matches for Battleground: Kofi Kingston vs. Bray Wyatt and Curtis Axel vs. R-Truth for the Intercontinental title. It is possible an announcement for one or both matches could come on this week's Main Event or on Smackdown, or they could be unannounced matches set up at the pay per view itself, much like Axel vs. Kingston was at Night of Champions.
- In injury news, Rey Mysterio tweeted that he was on his way to the WWE performance center yesterday in order to prepare for his return to the ring, which is expected to happen later this month when WWE tours Mexico. Mark Henry, who is still without a timetable to return after suffering a hamstring injury last month, has been away from WWE due to a death in the family.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.