WWE Friday Night SmackDown comes waltzing back into our lives tonight (June 20, 2014) from Columbus, Ohio, with a taped show on the SyFy channel featuring all the latest build to the upcoming Money in the Bank pay-per-view (PPV) scheduled for later this month in Boston.
Because SmackDown is a taped show, you can simply go read the spoilers to know everything that happens (find them by clicking here). We will provide results with a live blog below anyway.
You can use this space to discuss all the events as they occur, however, and it's probably going to enhance your viewing experience. In fact, I know it is because we're a lot of fun around here.
Enjoy the show!
SMACKDOWN RESULTS AND LIVE BLOG
- John Cena opened the show. He was full cheese early on: "Welcome to SMACKDOWN! There's energy in here tonight!" He tried to go full Ace Ventura while recapping everything that's happened over the past year or so but he failed miserably. He was telling jokes, then abruptly stopped when talking about the WWE title match. He said he's going to put all of them in a line and punch them. That brought out Alberto Del Rio. He said he was first to qualify, and he'll be first to climb the ladder to grab the belts. Sheamus came out calling Del Rio "Bertie". Same message. He'll win. Cesaro was next. Paul Heyman spoke for him, and he bothered to promote the match. He cut a promo saying his strategy and planning will lead Cesaro to win. Roman Reigns was out next. He said he can trust people these days after what Seth Rollins did. He got in Cena's face and said "I don't care who you think you are, there's not a man standing in this ring that's going to stop me now". Cena got a serious look on his face and started getting ready to fight. Naturally, Randy Orton arrived. He congratulated Reigns for finally learning not to trust anyone. But he was the face of WWE and the company was successful while he was. So the titles are coming home. Reigns decided to rush him and a brawl broke out. Back in the ring, the two heels attacked the two babyfaces but were thrown out. Cena continually stared at Sheamus' back like he was unsure of how to proceed.
- Seth Rollins vs. Kofi Kingston was next. The latter cut a promo before the match started, an inset bit stating he wants to be in the Money in the Bank contract ladder match. Considering his style, don't be surprised if that happens. Kingston got some offense in during the match but it was really a showcase for Rollins. He won with the Curb Stomp.
- After the match, Rollins grabbed the mic. He guaranteed victory at Money in the Bank. Dean Ambrose came on the Titantron. He was full greaser, hanging out with a leather jacket and white wife beater near a fence. No cigarette, though. He said he'll get even with Rollins soon. Seth said it was a shame that Ambrose has to battle THE DEMON KANE tonight because if he didn't, he would kick Dean's teeth down his throat. "Shut up. Don't do that. I don't believe that". Ambrose said he'll deal with Kane then he'll deal with Rollins, sending both to hell. They played Dean's music after this with Rollins looking upset in the ring.
- Dolph Ziggler was out next. He cut a promo saying he wants in the Money in the Bank contract ladder match so he can win the briefcase again and do what he did once before. He had a match with Bad News Barrett, who cut a pre-match promo typical of what he does these days. Barrett was in control of a physical match for most of it but the finish saw him miss the Bullhammer after the Winds of Change and end up rolled up for the three-count. Dolph celebrated on the second rope and Barrett waited for him to jump down before hitting the Bullhammer. He heeled it up after, demanding his title and touting that fact that he's still the Intercontinental champion.
- Titus O'Neil got a jobber entrance, then Adam Rose was out for a match with him. It appears Rose is sticking with the Willy Wonka gimmick. The match started and Titus was beating Rose up before an Irish whip gave way to a quick roll up that actually got the pin. Rose tried to crowd surf to the back but O'Neil got on the mic and demanded an immediate rematch. Rose granted it, got in the ring, slapped Titus across the face, then rolled him up and pinned him again. Wow.
- Seth Rollins was back out on commentary for the Dean Ambrose vs. Kane match. He was back in a black suit. The match was a match, a decent back-and-forth, until Rollins encouraged Ambrose to come after him. Living up to his moniker, Lunatic Fringe, Ambrose attacked and it gave Kane the chance to get the upper hand. Once they got back in the ring, Kane hit the Choke Slam for the pin. At that point, Rollins hopped in the ring and with utter disdain, hit the Curb Stomp while Kane walked away.
- Zeb Colter was out with Jack Swagger. Colter called Lana and "blonde-headed bimbo". He accused Big E of being in cahoots with her. That brought out Big E while the announce team dumped on Colter for accusing Big E. Swagger dominated the ensuing match early on but got overzealous and paid for it with a Big Ending that got the pin. All this lasted about 1:30 in real time.
- Fandango was backstage knocking on the door to Layla's dressing room. He said they were next and it's time to go. She needed another minute. He walked off and ran right into Summer Rae, who played nice by saying she was bad while they were together and Layla really does love him ... but she doesn't love him like Summer. Layla came out just in time to see the two kissing, was devastated, and went back into her room.
- Bo Dallas was out next for a match with Fandango. He came out walking instead of dancing, looking to the back upset that Layla wasn't with him. When he got to the ring, Summer came running down excited. She danced with him and he looked confused. Just after they rang the bell, Layla ran down and the women started brawling. Fandango pulled Summer off and ended up getting kicked in the head. Bo was just standing in the corner for this. He hugged Fandango, realized he was in perfect position to hit the Running Bodog, then did just that. JBL said he's "8 and Bo", so it appears they're ignoring the battle royal loss on Raw. After he celebrated, Bo grabbed the mic and told Fandango "There's plenty of fish in the sea and one day you'll catch the right one. All you have to do is Bolieve!" Amazing.
- "The nature of man has always fascinated me. I mean look at y'all, running around like a bunch of blind mice chasing a piece of cheese. But tell me this: what happens when the snake enters the maze?" If you couldn't tell, that's Bray Wyatt cutting a promo. He found a new way to say he's going to win the WWE world heavyweight championship at Money in the Bank. The title is his and all he has to do is climb a ladder to take it. We've entered the "Era of Wyatt. RUN."
- Main event was next, Roman Reigns, John Cena, Sheamus vs. Bray Wyatt, Randy Orton, Cesaro, Alberto Del Rio. They got the chaos out of the way early before having a straight up tag team match. They set up the babyfaces to get the heat on so Reigns could be the guy to get the hot tag and come in and clean house. The action again broke down a bit from there but it was Reigns who got the pin on Del Rio after the Spear. the babyfaces all met up in the middle of the ring after the match and fist bumped before celebrating their win.