WWE Friday Night SmackDown comes waltzing back into our lives tonight (March 28, 2014) from Boston, Massachusetts, with a taped show on the SyFy channel featuring all the latest build to the upcoming WrestleMania 30 pay-per-view (PPV) extravaganza next month in New Orleans.
Because SmackDown is a taped show, you can simply go read the spoilers to know everything that happens (find them by clicking here). That means there isn't much need for a live blog, though we'll be sure to deliver results as they hit the air.
You can use this space to discuss all the events as they occur, however, and it's probably going to enhance your viewing experience. In fact, I know it is because we're a lot of fun around here.
Enjoy the show!
RESULTS AND LIVE UPDATES
- Batista was out for a promo. He was a perfect douche, as usual, and ran down the fact that the fans begged for him to come back then booed him when he got back. He brought up what happened with Stephanie McMahon and that brought out Triple H, who didn't want her name being brought up. Batista ran down the fact that Trips wouldn't be in the position he's in if he didn't marry into the McMahon family. Triple H ran down Batista for running off to Hollywood and letting his stunt man do all the hard work while he got fat and complacent. He wondered where the old "Animal" went and booked a match against Sheamus later.
- They ran back video of SmackDown last week when The Shield were taken out by Kane & the New Age Outlaws. That led into The Shield vs. 3MB. Dean Ambrose and Drew McIntyre were a little sloppy in there, but Seth Rollins was his usual badass self and The Shield went over in a squash.
- After their win, Kane and the Outlaws came out wearing suits. They introduced Rybaxel, so another match happened. It should be noted that The Authority stayed up on the ramp during said match. The Shield were made to look vulnerable in this one, albeit briefly, but it was always clear they were the best team, and it wasn't really close. They won with Rollins' finish, Peace of Mind, after Ambrose's finish, Dirty Deeds, got the pin in the first bout. To send a message to Kane and the Outlaws, they beat down Ryback post-match. He took a Superman punch and a Triple Powerbomb.
- Sin Cara was out next and before they could get to the next match, they ran another promo for the Scooby Doo movie, which I have now watched. I can report that it is, in fact, awesome. Anyway, Sin Cara worked Damien Sandow and the match ended in about two minutes, if that, when Sin Cara rolled Sandow up. Boy, he's fallen really far.
- Big Show was interviewed by Renee Young. She wanted his thoughts on Bray Wyatt going into their match. Show said what the Wyatt Family did to John Cena on Monday was really twisted. As a group they can be intimidating and they have a way of making you question yourself because some of what Wyatt says "kind of makes sense in kind of a weird way, but that's kind of their play. They kind of suck you in to their sick, demented, morass". Yes, Big Show just used the word "morass". He said he has a big problem on his hands with Bray tonight but then again Bray has a big problem on his hands too. Good interview.
- Goldust vs. Fandango was next. Because of Summer Rae's outfit, Michael Cole and JBL were going on and on about I Dream of Jeannie. Cody Rhodes, it should be noted, was not out there supporting Goldust. They must have been arguing over the shocking turn of events in We the People's Court. Summer helped distract Goldust on the outside and helped Fandango recover before a roll up finish. The announcers put over a strong team effort.
- Batista vs. Sheamus was next. Cole told us this was the first time these two had ever met. Batista was heeling it up to slow the pace down early, stretching on the ropes and bailing out of the ring after a shoulder block. Once they got to work, it was methodical and didn't feature much action at all. Sheamus got his signature forearms through the ropes spot but Batista got disqualified shortly after when he grabbed a chair and started working Sheamus over with it. He followed up with a Batista Bomb. They played his music briefly before he grabbed a mic and asked "Hunter" if he was happy. He yelled at the fans that he'll be leaving WrestleMania 30 as the WWE world heavyweight champion. DEAL WITH IT.
- They ran an awesome hype video recapping the Wyatt Family stuff with John Cena. That led to a promo from Bray. "You give a man a mask and he will reveal his true face. Nobody is innocent, John. They're all guilty. They've all worn a mask at some point or another. Whether it was to hide their own wrong doings or fit into a social scene, it makes no difference. But there is a problem. The problem is if you hide behind the mask for too long it becomes you. Then, to remove this mask is to remove your own skin. I have broken you, John. I have broken you. My sword has left a scar on your soul that can never heal. And tonight this sword will slay a giant, a gift for you John. Can't you hear her calling your name? Can't you hear her sweet song serenading your mind? I'll never forget what she said to me the first time she sang to me. 'All secrets will come to light underneath the shade of the cypress tree.' He's got the whole world in his hands, he's got the whole wide world, in his hands."
- The Bella Twins were out next for a match with AJ Lee and Tamina Snuka. Vickie Guerrero was out on commentary and Michael Cole asked her about the Divas Championship Invitational at WrestleMania 30. She said "that's for me to know and you to find out". Dumb. The match sucked and the finish was Tamina turning on AJ and forcibly tagging her in the ring and pushing her into it so Brie Bella could hit the X Factor for the win.
- Emma and Santino Marella were out to dinner. She said she was glad he invited her because he was like the ultimate friend with benefits. He perked up at that but she said he was the friend and the meal and drinks were the benefits. He said he wanted to look into her eyes and she thought that meant a staring contest. Santino tried to get his nerve to tell her how he really feels but she said she knew what he was going to say and she agreed: they'll always be the best of friends. He was devastated at this, and ended up spitting drink all over her and puking off camera. Yeesh. At least they're abandoning the idea of these two being a couple.
- Jack Swagger vs. Jimmy Uso was next. The match was incredibly short and featured Jimmy getting an edge early but Swagger taking over quickly and tapping him clean with the Patriot Act.
- The Miz vs. Mark Henry was next and the announcers made sure to mention how Miz got owned by celebrities on Raw. Miz was actually doing okay for himself, even tossing Henry over the top rope and pointing to the WrestleMania sign to show that he can, in fact, do the same in the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal. Henry responded to this by dragging Miz out of the ring, tossing him into the steel steps and the barricade, and finishing him off with the "World's Strongest Slam" back in the ring.
- They re-ran the Razor Ramon Hall of Fame induction announcement. I wonder what Ric Flair is thinking about all this.
- Main event was next. Big Show attacked Bray Wyatt early and the story of the match was Bray asking for more and Show dishing it out but not getting very far with it. He hurt Bray but he couldn't really hurt him and ultimately, with some help from the family, Bray hit Sister Abigail for the clean pinfall victory.