WWE SmackDown returns to SyFy this coming Friday night (Jan. 31, 2014) from Toledo, Ohio, but the show was taped, as usual, on Tuesday night. That means full spoilers are readily available if you're the impatient type who doesn't want to wait a couple days for the payoff.
Unwrap that present early:
- The Shield opened with a pissed off promo demanding they get what's rightfully theirs, which is a spot in the Elimination Chamber main event. Dean Ambrose did most of the talking and he teased turning on Roman Reigns for what happened at the Royal Rumble but Seth Rollins made sure cooler heads prevailed. They turned their attention to the fact that The Wyatt Family costed them a shot at the title and Triple H hit the scene to make the match for the pay-per-view (PPV) next month.
- Antonio Cesaro def. Dolph Ziggler in a good match to claim the second fifth spot in the WWE world heavyweight title Elimination Chamber match.
- Fandango def. Xavier Woods to continue the feud of the dancing dudes.
- Rybaxel def. Prime Time Players in a match that is notable if only because Titus O'Neil apparently turned heel on Darren Young.
- Christian def. Jack Swagger to claim the sixth and final spot in the WWE world heavyweight title Elimination Chamber match. His return got a big pop and he was put over strong here.
- Kofi Kingston def. Damien Sandow because mid-card.
- Cody Rhodes def. Road Dogg Jesse James after the Disaster Kick while Bad Ass Billy Gunn and Goldust brawled on the outside. So it looks like this program is continuing without a new addition.
- The Shield def. Rey Mysterio, Sheamus, and Daniel Bryan with Roman Reigns delivering a Spear and pinning Mysterio. His inclusion in this match seems odd but was quite obviously done so he could eat the pinfall and keep the rest of the members of the match -- on both sides -- strong.
That's the show, Cagesiders. Your thoughts?