WWE SmackDown returns to SyFy this coming Friday night (June 21, 2013) from Dayton, Ohio, but the show was taped, as usual, on Tuesday night. That means full spoilers are readily available if you're the impatient type who doesn't want to wait a couple days for the payoff.
Unwrap that present early (via Wrestling Observer):
- Daniel Bryan opens the show with an interview taking the company to task for stopping his match with Randy Orton on Monday Night Raw, which is apparently a play on the fact that the match was legitimately stopped and he was legitimately pissed about it. We'll have more on that later. But it leads to Orton saying he was trying to be respectful by helping Bryan to the back but if they have a rematch, Bryan isn't leaving on his own power. The main event for the show was then set.
- That does mean Bryan vs. Dean Ambrose, the advertised main event, is in the shitter.
- Sheamus def. Cody Rhodes with a Texas Cloverleaf, so apparently the big white Irish bully is back to using submissions on lowly jobbers.
- Curtis Axel def. Wade Barrett to retain the Intercontinental championship, effectively pushing Barrett out of the picture. This was further cemented with The Miz challenging him for a match but Paul Heyman getting in the way and saying his clients don't fight for free.
- AJ def. Natalya with the Black Widow to help get bot her and her awesome finisher over. Simple and smart.
- Pre-tape of Aksana and Kaitlyn getting into it and Aksana catching a beat down for her troubles. This comes after the two had a match together on Main Event.
- Alberto Del Rio def. Chris Jericho via disqualification thanks to interference from Dolph Ziggler. After the match was called, Ziggler caught a Codebreaker from "Y2J" for making him lose and then got stomped out by Del Rio. They're really trying to make him a sympathetic figure now. We'll see if it works. It's certainly working for Bryan but let's not even put Dolph in the same sentence as the best in the world right now.
- Christian def. Drew McInytre and attempted to cut a promo but was interrupted after the match and triple powerbombed by The Shield.
- Renee Young interview attempt with Paul Heyman goes poorly.
- Daniel Bryan def. Randy Orton via count out but he's not satisfied with the victory, so he calls for a restart. His wish is not granted because the referee refuses him. They're starting to play this up like not only is Bryan the weak link in the eyes of everyone, even if that's not the case, but the system is out to get him. That adds a certain depth that is going to do wonders in making fans want to see him break through and win the title. Hopefully they go even further with this storyline and give it even more time to marinate so it can have maximum effect.
That's the show, Cagesiders. Your thoughts?