You knew a story like this would pop up sooner or later.
The Rock has been back in WWE for roughly a month now and he's already won the WWE championship from CM Punk at the Royal Rumble pay-per-view (PPV) this past Jan. 27, 2013, in Phoenix, Arizona. That has led to the unbelievably predictable stories of backstage resentment, no different than what we heard last year.
This time, PWTorch.com is citing sources with knowledge of the situation that wrestlers within the company, all unnamed of course, are unhappy about a number of things, including but not limited to:
- Rock is blown up to a size they can never get to.
- Rock is blown up to a size they can never get to and it is adversely affecting his abilities inside the ring. For instance, CM Punk worked much harder in their match because Rock can't move the way he used to.
- Rock isn't in ring shape and the feeling is he can't be counted on to perform at a high level for Elimination Chamber and WrestleMania 29.
- Rock is isolated behind-the-scenes because he has no real allies anymore.
- Rock is only doing all this to help his movie career and not the company or anyone on the roster as he has said multiple times.
There is absolutely zero way to verify any of this without a wrestler on the WWE roster going on the record and saying these things, something that isn't likely to happen as anything outside of kayfabe. We heard these stories last year and, frankly, they're all bullshit.
Yes, The Rock is doing this for his movie career. Yes, he gets a sweet deal for limited dates and he's now holding the biggest prize in the business. Yes, he's main eventing WrestleMania for the second -- arguably third -- year in a row.
That's what happens when you make yourself as hot a commodity as "The Great One" has made himself.
Something something, don't hate the player hate the game, something something.