TNA Impact Wrestling returned to Spike TV last night (Jan. 31, 2013) with a taped show featuring the promotion's second show on its annual trip to the United Kingdom.
Click here to get full results and the running live blog.
To the reactions!
- Let's get this out of the way quick; everything about Aces & 8s is absolutely atrocious. From Wes Brisco and Garrett Bichoff's explanation about joining the group -- "Hulk Hogan didn't call me, waaaaaaaa!" -- to Taz mouthing off at every turn -- does he not realize how exceptionally annoying his laugh is? -- to the fact that they are little more than a gaggle of jobbers -- besides Devon winning the Television Championship, does anyone in the group have a victory? -- there is not a single enjoyable thing to say about the masked gang. We are all waiting for this angle to go away, yet it refuses to die. Lockdown goes down on Match 10, just a little more than a month away. Let's hope that is the last we have to hear from them.
- I know we say this every week, but it's really a shame that Bully Ray is being pulled down by this garbage. The man has transitioned into a shocking great face. The way he plays off of Hulk and Brooke Hogan -- who are actually entertaining in their own rights -- just makes you want to love the guy.
- That being said, the main event was so bad not even Bully could save it. Devon and DOC looked like utter buffoons. They were on the offensive for all of three minutes of a 15+ minute match. It wouldn't have been so bad if the faces' moveset was anything more than punch-punch-punch-walk around to set up a finisher-repeat. It was a house show main event that closed the actual show. Bully Ray using Sting's surfer dude paint job and "Hulking up" at the end was cute, but I have the vague memory that we've already seen this before.
- Also, Sting needs to stay as far away from the ring as possible. And far away from a mic. Why doesn't he just stay as far away as possible. Maybe if we're lucky, TNA will leave him in England.
- Austin Aries & Bobby Roode got a great match out of Chavo Guerrero and Hernandez, and emerged as the NEW World Tag Team Champions. Aries was exceptional, doing cartwheels around the ring along with being the greatest heel in the business. Roode was awesome at playing off of Aries, and even walked away from the ring only to come flying back down and save his partner. Hernandez was solid overall, playing the giant well as he tossed Aries and Roode around like rag dolls. Chavo was... well three out of four is still a passing grade, right?
- Anyways. Aries. Roode. Tag Team Champions. This will be a fun ride.
- For too long have I had to see the amazing couple of Tara and Jessie be bad-mouthed on the reaction post. But no more! Yes, dear Cagesiders, it shouldn't be a surprise that C.J. is a huge fan of TNA's power couple. They have a natural chemistry together that major Hollywood stars would kill for. Tara constantly looking down the ramp and crying out her lover's name during her match with Miss Tessmacher just broke my heart. I could watch an entire show based around these two characters, and I'm not even kidding about that.
- Rockstar Spud, winner of TNA's British Boot Camp, came out to the home crowd for some cheap pops. At least he tried to, until the Robbie's showed up to ruin the fun. Robbie E bounced and screamed and was his generally annoying self. He was, at least, until Robbie T finally bent over to "pick up The Bro List" allowing Mr. Spud to pop Robbie E in his greasy face. The Robbie's were fun in a stupid kind of way, but I doubt anyone will cry over their breakup. As for Rockstar Spud, the jury is still out. He looks like he has potential, though. I would hate to see TNA ruin him.
- Rob Van Dam retained the X Division Championship against Kenny King and Zema Ion. I will admit that I did not see the match, but I get the sense it was not a five star classic. Remember when the X Division was good? Rob Van Dam doesn't remember. Mostly because of the reefer.
- Did you know AJ Styles still exists? I did not.
With Aces & 8s sucking up the show, it's difficult to fully get invested in an episode. Although there were some strong moments, there was far too much crap to really save it.
What about you, Cagesiders? Tell me how perfectly correct -- or how outrageously wrong -- I am in the comments below.