Complete results and reactions to last night's (Jan. 17, 2013) episode of TNA Impact Wrestling, the usual offering from the promotion that always manages to mess things up somehow.
TNA Impact Wrestling returned to Spike TV last night (Jan. 17, 2013) with a live show featuring a wedding with Brooke Hogan and Bully Ray tying the knot as a distraught Hulk Hogan looked on.
But wait! Heel turn! But not by who you think!
Click here to get full results and the running live blog. Now let's get right to reactions from the show.
- Why am I supposed to care about Tazz turning heel and joining Aces and 8s? And why did he wait until just before Bully Ray and Brooke Hogan were to be officially wed to reveal as much? And why did he do so by acting like he was a stripper? The guy is an announcer who can't wrestle. What's the point? He's the guy pulling the strings? The shock value of this was so much less than expected and, as usual, the typical TNA disappointment.
- What really sucked about it was the wedding was done extremely well. The set up with Hulk not being on board but telling Sting he always does the right thing before walking his daughter down the aisle and giving her away to a guy he despises but doing it anyway because he loves his kid. That was how it should be. Brooke even managed to seem genuinely emotional throughout the entire segment, while Bully looked legitimately happy. Bringing back Tommy Dreamer and little Spike Dudley was a nice touch too. Everything was great. I suppose that was the intention. Make it great so we would be upset when Aces and 8s destroyed it.
- Last word on the wedding: Brooke's tits popped out during the melee. This was TNA the full way, everybody.
- James Storm is perfectly fine the way he is and he's a good talker and solid worker and all that but he did something last night that has become something of a pet peeve of mine in pro wrestling. After he ran in to break up Kazarian and Christopher Daniels beating on Jeff Hardy, he grabbed a mic and booked a tag team match right then and there. Daniels and Kaz didn't say they were going to do it. They never agreed to anything. They just got dragged back into the ring and once they did, the bell rang and they went about having a match. If this is how it works, what's the point of ever having someone in power like Hogan is right now?
- With TNA touring the U.K. soon and Hardy's inability to leave the country, is there any reason not to have him drop the strap to Daniels, if only for a month or so? Daniels deserves a run with that title.
- Jay Bradley winning Gut Check makes sense if only because the guy actually managed to get heat in the Impact Zone. That's impressive.
- Taryn Terrell is the best looking member of the TNA roster and all she's done is referee for what seems like forever. Finally, after all this time, they're giving her an angle with Gail Kim. It's about damn time.
- It looks like TNA either listened to the fans or couldn't help but get beat over the head with the obvious by making Austin Aries and Bobby Roode a tag team -- for now -- and feuding them with Chavo Guerrero and Hernandez. The latter two have no business even being in the same ring as the former two but Aries and Roode are so entertaining together, they should be tag champions. Plus, it might actually elevate Chavo and Hernandez. Yeah, I doubt it.
Most of the show was built on the wedding, with a lot of pre-tapes airing throughout the night to get there. They weren't all that entertaining but served to make the wedding as good as it could possibly be.
This show was actually pretty good overall. Or at least I thought it was. What did you think?