Pro Wrestling Guerrilla brought its annual DDT4 event to Reseda, CA last night. The centerpiece of the event was the promotion's tag team tournament, which featured the independent circuit's best tag teams and El Generico in his farewell to the indies. In a change from previous years, the PWG World Tag Team Championship was on the line in every single match up in which the champions were involved.
1. The opening match of the tournament featured The Young Bucks (Matt and Nick Jackson) defeating the Inner-City Machine Guns.
2. In the second match of the evening, the Unbreakable Fucking Machines (Michael Elgin and Brain Cage) defeated the PWG World Tag Team Champions: Super Smash Brothers (Stupefied and Player Uno,) to advance in the tournament and become the new tag team champions. The high spot of the match featured Elgin and Cage passing Player Uno back and forth, while having him hoisted in a vertical suplex.
3. Following the crowning of the Unbreakable Fucking Machines as tag team champions, the tournament proceeded with Future Shock (PWG World Champion Adam Cole and Kyle O'Reilly) defeating the Dojo Bros (Roedrick Strong and Eddie Edwards). The Dojo Bros came to the ring with Adam Cole's (a fellow Dojo Bro) name blacked out on their t-shirts.
4. In the final match of the tournament quarterfinals, Steenerico (El Generico and Kevin Steen) defeated the Briscoe Brothers (Mark and Jay Briscoe). The start of the match was delayed due to the amount of streamers thrown into the ring as a tribute to El Generico. After the match, Steen spit on El Generico before making his way to the back.
5. In the first semi-final of then night, The Young Bucks defeated The Unbreakable Fucking Machines (c) to earn a spot in the tournament finals and the PWG World Tag Team Champions.
6. In the other semi-final, Steenerico defeated Future Shock to earn the last spot in the finals.
7. After being replaced by El Generico in the tournament, Willie Mack remained on the card in singles action with a victory over B Boy.
8. In a KO or Submissions Only Match, Drake Younger defeated Sami Calihan by forcing Calihan to verbally submit due to repeated strikes. With the victory, Younger is now tied with Calihan in their Best 2 out of 3 series to determine the next challenger to Adam Cole's PWG World Championship.
9. In the finals of the tournament, The Young Bucks (c) defeated Steenerico to win the tournament and retain as champions.
After the match was over, Steen gave El Generico a hug and the entire locker room came to the ring to bid Generico farewell. Steen was fighting back tears as he got on the mic and stated his appreciation for everything that Generico has done for him. Following Steen's words, Generico took the mic and informed the audience that he was heading back to Mexico to help the orphans. Classic Generico.
After the event was over, Steen took to Twitter:
My career will never be the same. Thank you.— Kevin Steen (@FightSteenFight) January 13, 2013