Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- Though there are certainly a number of matches on the WrestleMania XXX card which could turn out great, this reaction to this event is likely going to be determined by the result of the main event. For weeks, rumors have indicated that the Daniel Bryan/Triple H play-in match will have dirty finish, leading both to be inserted into the main event title match against Randy Orton and Batista. Now, if the advertising for shows after WrestleMania can be believed, Daniel Bryan may end the night as WWE World Heavyweight Champion. Though the title itself isn't mentioned, Bryan is advertised for matches with Orton in the weeks following WrestleMania. It would make sense if Bryan were champion and the two were building toward a rematch at Extreme Rules next month.
- Another good sign for Bryan winning are rumored concerns amongst WWE officials that the show will be too "face heavy" when it comes to the winners of the matches. Not counting the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal and with the recent rumors that the Shield may not break up as expected, Bray Wyatt going over John Cena is the only rumored instance of a heel likely being booked over a face. To combat this, there is talk that AJ Lee may retain her Divas title in the "Divas Invitational" match.
- Remember the rumors after the WWE and World Heavyweight titles were unified that the company wanted to begin pushing the Intercontinental title as the #2 singles title? If you take current IC champion Big E losing twice in a week cleanly and the title not even getting a match of its own at WrestleMania XXX, it's pretty clear that didn't happen. However, following WrestleMania, it appears that the company may finally move in that direction. Yesterday, we noted that Big E will feud with Alberto Del Rio leading up to a match at Extreme Rules, and the plan is for Big E to continue taking on bigger stars after that, up to and possibly including the likes of Sheamus. With the company reportedly having no plans to split the WWE World Heavyweight title up, a stronger Intercontinental title scene is a definite must.
- Stone Cold Steve Austin is confirmed to be making an appearance at WrestleMania XXX, and yesterday, we mentioned that WWE officials were talking to a number of other past stars about making cameo appearances. Now, it seems all but certain that the Rock will appear on the show in some capacity. Additionally, WWE has brought former wrestler Charles Wright, aka the Godfather, into town where it is expected he'll make an appearance as his other charcter, Papa Shango.
- Speaking of Austin, rumors began to swirl from the moment his involvement with the event was announced about what his role will be. The most likely scenario will see Austin joining the panel of superstars who discuss the matches between segments, but a few more "out there" possibilities have popped up as well. One of the most interesting is Austin serving as the special guest referee of the main event title match. It's a role he has served in before at WrestleMania and would help bring some additional star power to that match.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.
On a more personal note, this will be my last day in command of the Rumor Roundup. Life has gotten busier for me and some sacrifices had to be made. I realized the other day that I've written some 300 of these articles and I'd like to thank all of the readers and commenters for making it an enjoyable and reward experience for me. I'd also like to thank Geno and the rest of the CSS staff for making it possible. I'll still be around as much as I can as a member of the community and I'm sure the Roundup will be in good hands headed forward, so keep stopping in to get your daily fix of pro wrestling rumors.