For many fans, reading about rumors -- and trawling the sites that traffic in them -- has become as popular as watching the matches themselves. In this daily column, we take a look at the biggest rumors and weirdest stories being churned out by those pro wrestling "news" sites.
Important reminders: Rumors are "rumors" and not "news" for a reason, folks. That which has not been confirmed as legitimate news or fact will be made clear. Also, don't let these things ruin your day. It gets better.
What's the Worst That Could Happen?, Extreme Rules Edition:
With less than two weeks left before the show, some fairly obvious, and not so obvious, plans have been splattered all over the dirt screens:
- In what is a bit of good news for people who like
bad newsWade Barrett's slow and steady push began so humbly on the JBL & Cole Show (with Renee Young), "Bad News" seems like a lock to win the Intercontinental Championship No. 1 Contender's Tournament on Monday Night Raw. Before the tourney started, Bad News had expected to be a first among equals behind the presumed winner, Cesaro.
- The Swiss Superman has different plans for the show, as he looks to be taking part in a three-way match against Rob Van Dam and Jack Swagger at Extreme Rules. This will likely be done to clean a former Paul Heyman guy and Cesaro's former tag team partner off his plate as he prepares for bigger and better things. Perhaps a real feud between himself and the winner of Big E/Bad News match at Extreme Rules, instead of the one that would have half-heartedly developed as a result of this contendership tournament.
- The Intercontinental title isn't the only one that might be changing hands at the show, as the World's Second Greatest Tag Team, RybAxel, appears poised to do battle against the Usos for the gold as a part of the "special event". This will likely be announced on Monday. We at the Rumor Round-Up are anxiously awaiting the announcement of which Will Ferrell movie poster will be airbrushed on Ryback's tights this time.
Random Rumors and NEWZ:
- The long national nightmare is almost over. No, not that one, the one involving Sting and WWE. It's finally been announced that Sting will be involved in a DVD and Blu-ray set that WWE is going to be doing with him this fall. With a build this long, Sting better hope that Nick Patrick isn't waiting out of the end of this contract signing to botch a quick three-count.
- Mrs. Foley's baby boy is in hot water for his comments on Facebook regarding Daniel Bryan's push around the time of the Royal Rumble. He went as far to say he thought the "powers that be" were "just not going to get it" and that it "made him sad", before eventually admitting after WrestleMania XXX he was wrong for not giving it a chance to play out but failing to add "because I missed the day in school where they taught us how to book underdog babyfaces".
- It appears that the NEWZ story for a few weeks back regarding Rey Mysterio missing time over lingering knee issues was wrong, and it's actually an injured hand that's keeping him out of action. Mysterio also looks like he will sign a new contract, which may be smaller than his previous ones as he is no longer a top-flight merchandise seller anymore.
- In a follow-up on our TNA Apocalypse Watch from Thursday, at the very least, although rumors that Eric Bischoff is still consulting with TNA because he's under contract are true, the company has reportedly had the decency to completely ignore whatever input he's given recently. While it's hard to imagine leaving such a genius on the sidelines while he's still collecting checks, we at the Rumor Round-Up have to assume that the creative staff had grown tired of Bischoff constantly asking if "anyone knew when Hulk was coming back."
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.