Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- It is being said that WWE officials would really like to find a spot on the WrestleMania XXX card for Cesaro. Cesaro's inclusion in the Elimination Chamber main event as well as rumors over the past several months have suggested that he is in line for a push, but may be stuck behind others like Bray Wyatt and Roman Reigns. Right now, it appears as though the plan is to combine Cesaro's "Real Americans" break up with Jack Swagger with the pair's apparent ongoing feud with Big E. A triple threat match for the Intercontinental title is a possibility for WrestleMania XXX.
- Rey Mysterio wasn't at any of this week's WWE tapings, and it has only furthered speculation that his time with WWE will be over when his contract expires in a few months. It is being heavily rumored that once Mysterio is done with WWE, he will join with the AAA Mexican promotion as a headliner when their TV series begins later this year.
- The Undertaker has been added to all Raw tapings through WrestleMania XXX and has been added to the March 18 Smackdown taping in Houston, TX. Prior to his return two weeks ago, he was last seen being triple powerbombed through the announce table on Smackdown at the hands of the Shield.
- The WWE Hall of Fame class of 2014 now stands at four: Ultimate Warrior, Jake "the Snake" Roberts, Lita, and Paul Bearer. Now, it appears we know who will be fifth: Scott Hall. Sean Waltman recently wrestled at a Mania Lucha Libre event and announced to the fans that he would be inducting his good friend Scott Hall into the WWE Hall of Fame. Waltman's announcement obviously doesn't make it official, but past rumors have been hinting this for quite some time and Scott Hall recently hinted at himself on Twitter.
- WWE has been surveying fans about the idea of adding a new Tuesday wrestling show. For at least the next couple of months, Main Event will air live in that spot, but it has been rumored that WWE officials are willing to take Smackdown live on Tuesday nights if it will get the most money in their new TV deal.
- College football players turned wrestlers are nothing new on the pro wrestling scene. The Rock and Goldberg (who also played professionally) are probably the two most prominent examples in recent wrestling history. Big E and Roman Reigns also made the jump between the sports to their places on the WWE roster now. With these successes, it isn't surprising that more aspiring pro football players are considering pro wrestling as a backup career if things don't work out in the NFL. One such player is former Pitt DT Tyrone Ezell. Ezell, at 6'3, 305 lbs, is already considering the career change if he isn't drafted in May's NFL Draft. A few months ago, rumors started coming out that WWE officials were actively reaching out to the agents of current and future NFL players hoping that they'd steer their clients towards a career in pro wrestling if the NFL didn't work out.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.