What you loved:
- GOAT - Newsflash: cSs loves Randy Savage! Many of you believe, quite simply, that he's the best ever.
- Charisma - The man was blessed with the gift of gab, and cut some of the finest promos anyone ever has. He can also lay claim to a number of emotional moments throughout his career.
- In-Ring - Oh yeah, he was awesome in the ring too. DAT Flying Elbow! He's had some incredible matches, most notably with Ricky Steamboat at WrestleMania 3. If you somehow have not seen that match, I might have to take your wrestling fan card.
- Gimmick - His outfits were incredibly wild, but they worked so damn well with the persona. The finger wag, "Ooo yeah!", and his entrance theme all fit perfectly together to make for one hell of a character.
- Elizabeth - They were the perfect match, and told some of the best stories ever in wrestling. The reunion at WrestleMania and their wedding are two prime examples of this.
Tons of great comments today, but my favorite belongs to Duke Phillips:
"Look – Whether it’s the bandana wearing early incarnation, or the cowboy hat wearing 90s version, he was one of the few wrestlers identifiable by silhouette, and the first time you ever saw him, right up until the last, you knew exactly who this guy was and that you were going to be entertained by a true professional."
What you loathed:
- WCW Run - Yuck. Rough gimmicks and story-lines, in particular near the end.
- R.I.P. - We lost him almost three years ago, and crowds still chant his name. His early lifestyle was known to be wild and probably contributed to his heart attack. When the Macho Man went, a lot of people felt the need to give thanks and pay tribute to the man, which is a testament to how beloved he was.
- Not in Hall of Fame - Seriously...any day now would be great....
- Paired with Hogan - Macho Man did not need Hulk Hogan, and unfortunately he was in "The Hulkster's" shadow during much of his career. A couple of you were not happy he had to share the spotlight like that.
- Relationship Skills - His real-life relationship with Elizabeth sounded pretty rough, as he was known to be over-protective of her. This has nothing to do with relationships, but his rap album sucked too.
Favorite comment goes to OOTer:
"Loathe – Whatever is holding back his induction to the WWE HOF. As much as everyone said it would never be complete/valid without Bruno, while that was true, I don’t think it is without the Macho Man Randy Savage either. I’m just terribly disappointed he won’t get a live mic and the time to be honored and talk about it."
Onto the poll! With 276 votes, Mr. Savage's average score is 4.8! Rounded up slightly, Macho Man is the third highest score ever in the series, just edging out Paul Heyman.
Thanks, Cagesiders! Tomorrow's pick is not a prank, promise.