Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- We've been beating you about the head with talk of Sting and Undertaker over the past couple days but here's an item that might provide some measure of hope to those praying WWE doesn't waste an Undertaker WrestleMania match on Sting. Apparently, the company is discussing having the match and working it as Sting's farewell but doing it sooner rather than later. That includes possibly having it happen at Extreme Rules, the first show postWrestleMania, but it would all depend on Undertaker's health coming out of his match with Brock Lesnar atWrestleMania 30. The idea there would be to entice cable providers to continue carrying WWE pay-per-view events while quickly capitalizing on Sting's big debut in the company instead of waiting for a payoff later. There's also word going around that WWE could simply leave it up to Undertaker and let him decide if he's okay with having the match at WrestleMania next year. It's almost certain at this point that the match will happen, but the when and the where is what's up in the air.
- Shawn Michaels has been announced for WWE appearances in the lead-up to WrestleMania 30 but it's not expected he will get involved on television or at the event itself, despite his close ties to the Triple H vs. Daniel Bryan feud. If he's used, it will be a last minute decision and not in any major role.
- With this being WrestleMania 30, WWE is, in fact, trying to do something special with big stars of times past. The company is in communication with quite a few of its bigger draws and the hope is you'll see plenty of big cameos. That could mean more backstage segments than normal, but it should be worth it. Stone Cold Steve Austin has confirmed he'll be in town for the Hall of Fame ceremony and the big event the next night.
- The WrestleMania 30 stage set up arrived in New Orleans at some point over the past couple days and is being constructed now. Here's a photo floating around, though it's unclear if it's legitimate, so don't take it to the bank:
- Jim Ross was at UFC headquarters recently doing interviews for some features UFC will be using on its own network, Fight Pass. You can imagine how happy the powers at WWE are about this.
- This isn't a rumor but Main Event is still pulling solid ratings on ION Television at 1.38 million viewers for last week's show with Undertaker's first ever appearance and 1.21 million for this past Wednesday night's show featuring the Intercontinental championship match between Big E and Dolph Ziggler.
- Speaking of ratings, TNA officials aren't panicking over lower than normal ratings for Impact over the past couple weeks because of the NCAA college basketball tournament currently ongoing. Everyone expects the numbers to recover just as soon as that major competition goes away.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.