What you loved:
- Legend - Mount Rushmore. That is all.
- Strength - He threw around opponents like they were nothing. His strength, especially back then, was truly amazing.
- Titles Reigns - Held the WWWF Title for over 11 years in two separate reigns, territory era or not, that was quite an achievement.
- Charisma - Just watch any match, especially in MSG. The crowd loved everything he did in the ring.
My favorite comment goes to mrsocko:
"My grandpa set up chairs at Madison Square Garden, and as the legend goes, Bruno came to the Garden to talk to his opponent about the match later and rehearse a little. Bruno then struck up a conversation with my Grandpa, and told him 'You are working man, I like that, lets get a drink and unwind, ya know' so my grandpa and Bruno had a drink together at what my grandpa calls 'some shit-hole in Yonkers.' I can not verify, but my grandpa swears up and down its true."
What you loathed:
- Lengthy Absence - He got away from the business for multiple reasons, and was very vocal on how he didn't like how the product (mainly WWE) changed over the years. This kept him away for too long, a real shame too because WWE probably could have used him behind the scenes.
- In-Ring - Compared to today's standards, his matches are quite slow. Not really his fault; more that things change over time and his style became dated.
- Hall of Fame - Not that he's in it, but because it took so long for WWE to convince him to accept. Thanks, Triple H!
My favorite comment goes to John S. Nash:
John S. Nash - "Not that he wasn’t talented or a big star at his time, but because the WWF ended up winning the wrestling wars he is now viewed as the champion of his era. But if you asked fans in Atlanta, St. Louis, Detroit, or Toronto "who’s the Champ" during Sammartino’s time they would have told you Lous Thesz or Harley Race. If you asked fans in Chicago, Minneapolis, or Denver, they would have told you Verne Gagne or Nick Bockwinkel. Bruno was the champ in basically only the Northeast cities of Boston, Philly, and New York (which we can’t underestimate) but thanks to the WWF/WWE’s total victory the WWWF champion has been elevated to the position of number one champion when that wasn’t the case back then."
With 103 votes, Mr. Sammartino's average score is 4.4.
Thanks, Cagesiders! Tomorrow's pick is a strange one.