Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- While there are any number of possibilities in play for the WWE World Heavywight Championship match at WrestleMania XXX, one that is definitely not is to split the titles. A few rumors have popped up after a rumor earlier in the week suggested that interference in the Daniel Bryan/Triple H match could lead both to being inserted into the title match, making it a fatal four-way. These rumors indicated that there was a chance, if the match became a fatal four-way, that some sort of smoz finish could occur where two winners were declared, and the titles would be split between them. This is apparently not the case, as WWE officials remain adamant that there are no plans to split the titles right now.
- Some have questioned the decision to induct the Razor Ramon character into the WWE Hall of Fame rather than Scott Hall himself, essentially ignoring everything Hall did after his WWE career. However, this decision was made because WWE plans to induct Hall at a later date, as either a member of the Outsiders with Kevin Nash or member of the nWo with Nash, Hulk Hogan, and possibly some others. Inducting both of those options is also apparently on the table. Additionally, Vince McMahon is said to have greatly enjoyed the Razor Ramon character and is proud of it.
- Here's a fun rumor floating around: Batista gets made fun of backstage for wearing those ridiculous skinny jeans. His ripping the less skinny jeans on Raw has only made matters worse.
- In an example of the disconnect that can occur between WWE management and the WWE talent, Zack Ryder was apparently not informed that he'd be taking place in the Andre the Giant Battle Royal at WrestleMania XXX, only finding out when he saw the graphic for the event on Raw.
- In developmental news, WWE officials were at the NCAA Wrestling Champions this past weekend and were in full recruiting mode. Though no longer officially employed by WWE, Jim Ross (an avid amateur wrestling fan) was also present and posted his thoughts to his blog. He says that the WWE officials were looking for guys with a "marketable look" as well as "a little showmanship." Kurt Angle and Brock Lesnar are easily the two most prominent recent amateur wrestlers turned pro wrestling superstars.
- In other developmental news, it appears that Summer Rae's call up to the main roster is finally becoming full time. Her place in the NXT "BFFs" stable alongside Charlotte and Sasha Banks will apparently be filled by Alexa Bliss. Bliss, 22, was formerly a competitive bodybulider and multi-sport athlete who signed with WWE last April.
- Another female wrestler who is hoping to sign with WWE is Sarah Stock, who wrestled in TNA as Sarita. At 35, Stock is older than WWE tends to prefer their divas, but she made enough of an impression at a December tryout that they've invited her back again to another tryout in the near future. Several Ring of Honor stars will also be present at that tryout, including Kevin Steen, ACH, and Roderick Strong.
- Going back to the guys in developmental, New Japan's Prince Devitt has a match against his former tag team partner, Ryusuke Taguchi, with the stipulation that the loser must leave NJPW. This has led many to speculate that Devitt will lose the match as he makes his way to WWE. WWE officials have been pursuing Devitt for some time now and have apparently promised him only a "short stay" in developmental to entice him into signing.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.