Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- As of right now, the plan appears to be for WWE to close WrestleMania XXX with Daniel Bryan standing tall as WWE World Heavyweight Champion. The audience reaction to Bryan can't be denied, and recent reports of WWE's top merchandise movers placing Bryan near the top of the list have likely helped to convince any remaining WWE officials skeptical of Bryan's drawing ability that this is a chance worth taking. It should also be noted that it is extremely likely that Bryan loses his title over the summer, possibly as soon as Extreme Rules, the very next pay per view on the schedule.
- WWE already has the biggest star in company history, Hulk Hogan, hosting WrestleMania XXX. But what about adding the second biggest star ever to the show? According to recent reports, WWE officials have reached out to Stone Cold Steve Austin about having a role at the show. Obviously, it would be a non-wrestling role at this stage, but his presence during the weekend could help get the show additional media attention and possibly sell more merchandise. His most likely role would be on the panel of wrestlers WWE has been utilizing of late at their pay per views. It would be similar to the role he played at the WWE Network announcement.
- You may have heard yesterday that the AMC Network is going to buy out WWE. Obviously, that rumor proved utterly false, but it didn't stop WWE stock prices from spiking up over $2 per share when that rumor started gaining attention. In actual WWE television deal news, it sounds likely that WWE will be remaining with NBC Universal. An official announcement is expected during an April 7 press conference.
- Without going into too many spoilers, Kalisto (the former Samuray del Sol) may have made his debut on this weeks NXT tapings. I say "may," because his match may have been a dark match. Either way, he is moving closer to being featured on NXT programming.
- In TNA news, we may have seen the last of Bad Influence (Christopher Daniels and Kazarian) on TNA television. They will not be in Orlando, FL this weekend when TNA will be taping four weeks worth of Impact episodes. Their contracts are both said to expire in April.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.