Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- The reason WWE is refusing to say anything negative about CM Punk is because Vince McMahon is still working to bring him back. There are still some saying he'll return on tonight's episode of Monday Night Raw in Memphis but that's almost surely not the case. Then again, this is pro wrestling and nothing would surprise at this point. Most people within the company are operating under the assumption he's gone and never coming back and quite a few of them are actually happy about it.
- Vince McMahon could return before WrestleMania to help pop a rating to sell the Network for the big show, but it's more likely he'll be back after it. That's the idea, at least. He's probably going to be used in the big summer angle this year to help curb the post-WrestleMania lull period.
- It's almost a certainty that Daniel Bryan vs. Batista will happen at SummerSlam, barring major booking changes. It's possible WWE pushes back Bryan's big title win until then, with the feeling that fans will continue to buy into Bryan's chase if he vanquishes Triple H at WrestleMania and Triple H gets behind Batista as a way to keep Bryan from the title. Yes, this would be almost exactly what they did with Bryan's first title chase, but that was opposite Randy Orton and Batista actually has legs as a heel. They've been building the program with all this in mind.
- Yes, this also means Randy Orton vs. Batista at WrestleMania 30. If the fans boo like crazy, that will be all the better because the match isn't going on last and both guys are heels who should be getting booed. No one is going to turn their backs and walk out and if the fans go into business for themselves with various chants, well, that wouldn't be the first time it happened. None of this is going to cause a change in the plan and actually, in a lot of ways, it plays right into it.
- Cesaro vs. Jack Swagger looks like a go for WrestleMania. Cody Rhodes vs. Goldust does not.
- Still no official update on the WWE television rights deal but there are some saying an agreement is in place with a new partner. WWE stock is still insanely high and there is a lot of confidence in the company right now but that could change in a hurry once the new TV deal is announced, not to mention the subscriber numbers for the WWE Network. Both will be revealed after WrestleMania.
- Word going around is WWE is happy with the number of subscribers for the Network so far but they aren't anywhere close to one million. With that said, there will be a strong push for new subscribers as we get closer to WrestleMania 30 and the company expects to increase its subscriber base in a big, big way. They are also pushing positive press from major outlets like Grantland.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.