Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- We mentioned earlier in the week that WWE decision makers feel that a WrestleMania match against Triple H is an "honor," on par with a title match or a match against the Undertaker. CM Punk obviously disagreed, and since news of this came out, so have most fans. However, a good portion of WWE's other talents privately agree with WWE's assessment and would gladly take the match if offered. It is not known if Daniel Bryan, who is heavily rumored to be Triple H's new WrestleMania XXX opponent, is part of that group. It should also be noted that while changing the match to Daniel Bryan vs. Kane has been discussed, it will not likely happen, as WWE does not want to risk a fan takeover of their biggest ever show to date ala Royal Rumble.They may be risking that anyway, as (please don't kill the messenger here,) Bryan is NOT currently booked to go over Triple H. (Ducks for cover.) This plan would mesh with rumors that Triple H was booked to go over CM Punk, adding to the factors in Punk's walk out.
- One plan that might be in the works, however, is a feud between Batista and Brock Lesnar. Any match between the two would most likely happen at SummerSlam in August, right around the time six-month subscriptions would be up for initial subscribers to the WWE Network. This plan also would seem to indicate that WWE has no intention of turning Batista heel, even if it means months more of cheap-pop videos and muting crowd reactions.
- As you may have heard, Alberto Del Rio may soon be following CM Punk out the door once his contract with the company expires, which is believed to be sometime in the next few months. This isn't a recent development however, as, like Punk, Del Rio has been openly hinting at retirement backstage for quite some time now. He's 36 and a legend down in Mexico, so he doesn't exactly need WWE enough to put up with the creative issues he is reportedly upset over.
- After weeks of believing that May's Extreme Rules pay per view will take place in Seattle, WA, it turns out that it will not. Instead, it has been announced that the event will take place at the IZOD Center in New Jersey. This should put to bed those pesky rumors suggesting that Extreme Rules will be built around Daniel Bryan, where it was hoped by many that he would be put over in a big way in his home state. While it doesn't rule out the chance that Bryan will have a large role in the event, it definitely will not be happening in front of his home fan base. Bryan is still one of the top stars being advertised for the show, along with John Cena, Batista, Randy Orton, and Sheamus.
- John Cena is expected to return to TV next week on Raw after taking this week off to nurse the eye injury he suffered over the weekend in a match with Randy Orton. Cena took a fingernail to the eye and there was concern that he may have scratched his cornea, but that does not appear to be the case. WWE officials decided to keep Cena off of TV this week so they wouldn't have to show or explain the eye injury in kayfabe.
- Updating the Stacy Keibler rumors from yesterday, it is believed that WWE's current plan for her, if she signs, would be to induct her into the WWE Hall of Fame and have her work as a backstage correspondent during WrestleMania XXX.
- Evan Bourne has been tweeting hints that he may be returning soon. He has been out of action since early 2012 due to a combination of injuries and a Wellness Policy suspension. WWE is dealing with an extremely crowded card at the moment, and it's hard to imagine a place for Bourne to fit into right now.
- We mentioned a few weeks ago that the Rock met with the CEO of Warner Bros. to discuss a possible role in an upcoming DC Comics movie. It has been revealed that the discussion was about the Rock playing John Stewart, the African-American Green Lantern, possibly in a Justice League movie.
- In TNA news, an expected tag team feud is expected to play out between the Wolves (Eddie Edwards and Davey Richards) representing MVP and Ethan Carter III with Rockstar Spud representing Dixie Carter. ECIII and Spud have debuted matching ring attire while on the UK tour, which is currently ongoing.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.