Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- One of the rumored issues that drove CM Punk to walk out on WWE, and which may now fall on Daniel Bryan, is the idea backstage that working a match with Triple H is an "honor," on par with or greater than a title match. Unfortunately, CM Punk obviously didn't see things that way and now with Daniel Bryan expected to be taking Punk's spot in a WrestleMania XXX match with Triple H, it fall to the WWE universe to decide. It has been said that there is talk of possibly putting the Triple H/Bryan match on as the main event of the show, and it definitely appears that the long-rumored Randy Orton/Batista match for the actual title is not being seriously considered for that spot. We mentioned a few weeks ago that WWE officials would like to get the 70,000 in attendance doing one big "YES!" chant during the show, but the fear with that is if it happens at any point in the show before the final match, the fans will continue through the rest of the matches regardless. WWE clearly has a big decision to make regarding the order of the matches at WrestleMania XXX, even bigger now that it will be expected to help sell subscriptions to the WWE Network, and whatever they do will almost certainly affect how fans react to the show as a whole.
- Also regarding the CM Punk situation, it is being said that WWE will not publicly address the situation in any official capacity unless and until absolutely every option for bringing Punk back has been exhausted. Vince McMahon really wants Punk back and is leading the charge in trying to lure back his disgruntled superstar.
- One reason why McMahon probably wants Punk back so bad is that there is a feeling backstage that WrestleMania XXX plans are "going off the rails." Already, Punk has walked out and by all appearances will not back barring a major breakthrough on WWE's part. WWE's likely hopeful main event pitting returning star Batista against Randy Orton for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship will almost certainly not be main-eventing the show due to poor fan reaction to that angle thus far. The fans continue to call for Daniel Bryan to be pushed harder than WWE would probably like at this point, and now there is even talk (as mentioned above) that his rumored match against Triple H could main event the biggest WrestleMania to date. While John Cena's weekend eye injury was luckily not serious, it probably struck WWE officials hard seeing how close they were to possibly losing another WrestleMania XXX competitor. Really, the only expected match that hasn't yet been affected since the night of Royal Rumble is Undertaker/Lesnar, and WWE probably doesn't want that jinxed.
- About 40 fans (at least) were ejected from last night's Raw in Omaha, NE for their CM Punk chants. Several took to Twitter afterward and were obviously upset with the situation. It should be noted that some are claiming this was not the case and no one was kicked out due to the Punk chants. Another crowd related incident that WWE likely wasn't pleased with was Batista slamming his microphone on the ground during his scuffle with Alberto Del Rio. The microphone broke and sent at least one shard of plastic into the crowd.
- In Elimination Chamber news, Randy Orton will be booked against all of his Chamber match opponents over the next several weeks. He started against Daniel Bryan on last night's Raw, where Orton lost, and will next face Christian on Friday's Smackdown.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.