Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- As the CM Punk saga continues on, rumors came out over the weekend that one of the biggest reasons CM Punk walked out was that he came to the realization that, no matter what he does, WWE will NEVER push him the way they do John Cena. One of the reasons Punk pushed so hard to turn heel in 2012 after being one of the most over members of the roster as a face following his "Pipe Bomb" promo was because he knew he could never surpass Cena as the #1 face on the roster. Punk was hoping that a heel turn would lead to a match between he and Cena at WrestleMania, but obviously, that never happened. Now, with the yearly influx of part-time talent during WrestleMania season and Punk falling behind Cena and Daniel Bryan as, at best, the #3 face on the roster, the situation became too much for Punk. It is being said that, since he didn't need the money, he just decided to move on now rather than continue to damage his body working toward a goal he can never reach with WWE's unwillingness to push him to that level.
- Another CM Punk note: Vince McMahon is said to be personally handling the situation with Punk, not Triple H or the "Talent Relations" department. It is still being said that Vince wants Punk back and is working to make that happen.
- As mentioned over the weekend, the Cody Rhodes vs. Goldust feud is expected to occur over the summer. Goldust's contract originally ran through WrestleMania XXX, but it has now been extended through SummerSlam in August. The current plan is for the two to break up at Elimination Chamber, have a match at WrestleMania XXX, and then continue to feud over the summer.
- The Undertaker is expected to be returning to WWE television soon in order to kick off his feud with Brock Lesnar culminating with a match at WrestleMania XXX. The current plan seems to be for Taker to return on the Feb. 24 edition of Raw, the night after Elimination Chamber, in order to build up hype for the WWE Network which launches that night.
- We've had plenty of rumors here on how WWE's new television deal may affect things headed forward. One of the more interesting things to keep an eye on is the state of the WWE World Heavyweight title. Currently, the titles are officially unified and there are no plans to separate them. However, by having current champion Randy Orton continue to carry both of the title belts, they've left the option open to separate them if need be. What may happen that could require the titles to be split? Well, how about another round of brand extension? With the potential to move Smackdown from Friday nights to live shows on Tuesday, WWE is considering the possibility of reviving the brand split in order to accommodate the new TV schedule and their ever-growing roster. Such a move would require a primary title for each "brand," hence keeping both titles in the public's eye for now.
- In injury news, John Cena reportedly suffered an eye injury at a house show over the weekend, causing his right eye to completely swell shut for a time. He was replaced by Daniel Bryan in a match against Randy Orton at one show, but returned at another show the next night. Another injury to update is that of the Big Show, who reportedly injured his hand at a house show prior to the Royal Rumble last month. He was back in action this weekend, defeating Kane at a house show.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.