Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- The John Cena knee injury is officially a work. As mentioned yesterday, it will play a part in the build to Cena's long-rumored WrestleMania XXX match against Bray Wyatt. Perhaps the more interesting aspect of the worked injury is how it will be used. Will it be used as an excuse for Cena should Wyatt win the match, or as something else for "Super Cena" to overcome when he wins the match? Right now, there does not seem to be a consensus either way. WrestleMania is traditionally a time when the "faces" win overwhelmingly, but WWE sees Bray Wyatt as a future long-term main-eventer. A win over John Cena at the biggest WWE show to date would go a long way towards establishing Wyatt as a truly threatening top-of-the-card villain.
- All has been quiet on the CM Punk front for a while now, with neither side saying very much. Last we heard, CM Punk was reportedly "done with wrestling, period," though Vince McMahon hadn't given up on bringing back one of his top stars and was personally handling the situation. Now, the feeling from both sides seems to be that McMahon will talk Punk into returning, eventually. The key word is that last one, as some feel it may already be too late to get Punk to return for a meaningful role at WrestleMania XXX. Only time will tell, but pendulum seems to be swinging back towards the side of optimism on Punk returning.
- Slight SmackDown Spoiler - Early reports out from last night's SmackDown taping indicate that the crowd remained very hostile to Batista. Rumors that WWE officials were planning to have Batista cut a promo on SmackDown in an attempt to get over were inaccurate. He was booed on his way out, and his promo was frequently interrupted by "YES!" and "CM PUNK!" chants. (Editor's note: The original information here was not correct and has been removed. Read the full SmackDown spoilers here to know what really happened. Batista cut a heel promo and he was interrupted by an unlikely name.)
- Speaking of Batista, it has been announced that WWE will release a career retrospective DVD for him titled "Batista - The Animal Unleashed." It is set for release this June, when Batista will likely be reigning as WWE World Heavyweight Champion if the rumors hold true.
- If you had to guess which wrestler came closest to being booked to end the Undertaker's WrestleMania streak, you might guess Randy Orton or Kurt Angle. There have been stories floating around the internet for some time that Undertaker volunteered to put those two over at WrestleMania 21 and 22 respectively. Both times, he was shot down by Vince McMahon who was just beginning to realize the potential of "the streak" and wanted to capitalize on it long-term. A name you likely would not guess is Mark Henry. It is being said that, a few years ago, during Henry's "Hall of Pain" heel-run, Vince wanted to push Henry into the monster heel stratosphere and decided that having Henry end "the streak" would be the best way to accomplish that. Luckily, if you're a fan of "the streak," Vince eventually backed away from this idea for unknown reasons (possibly Henry's lengthy list of injuries) and we got the second Undertaker/Triple H match at WrestleMania 28 instead.
- In WWE Hall of Fame news, it is being said that Diamond Dallas Page has inquired about inducting Jake "the Snake" Roberts into the hall. Hulk Hogan continues to be mentioned as the most likely candidate for inducting the Ultimate Warrior.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.