What you loved:
- In-Ring - He went 100% every single time he hit that ring, I mean talk about intensity. That irish whip chest-first into the turnbuckle that he did always looked insane to me.
- Physique - Even though he was of smaller size, he was big enough to realistically take on the big men of wrestling. Had the "look" of a wrestler
- Wrestlemania XX - Probably the highlight of his career when he closed out the biggest show as champion.
- Crippler Crossface - He made that move look so menacing when applied.
- Radicalz - His WWE invasion with Eddie, Dean, and Perry was a great introduction for the group.
My favorite comment goes to Matthew Roth - "Love: He may be one of the greatest technical wrestlers of all time. At least in the discussion as one of the best workers. His biggest moments felt legitimately big because he was packaged as such an underdog in both WCW and the WWE. His matches with Eddie are legendary in my book. Seriously, he just had so many great matches."
What you loathed:
- The End - His actions in his final days were horrific, destroying the lives of so many. It also altered the way many of you felt toward him as a wrestler. Probably an obvious statement, but the most loathed thing ever in this series.
- Promos - Wow, they were bad. He did improve over time, but not the most inspiring talker I've ever heard.
- Poor Main-Eventer - Not so much his fault, but after he won at WrestleMania XX, things went down hill. He eventually dropped the strap to Randy Orton at SummerSlam.
- Physique - Even though it worked for him as a wrestler, he was a weird looking dude. Massively large for his size, and one of you said he had short arms.
I won't say the word "favorite", but this was this was a well spoken comment from tkatt00 - "The End – This one goes without saying, this is the one that ultimately loses Benoit all of his points. For all of the good things he did throughout his life and career and, by all accounts, he was a fantastic person. Everyone says he was a great friend, a nice guy, and one of the most loyal people they’d ever met. That’s all well and good, but all of that was erased the second he killed his wife and son. Whether it was the years of steroids and pain killers or all of the long-term brain damage, we’ll never really know. None of us will ever really understand how someone reaches that point, but when they do, they’ve gone to a place that no ranking is going to cover. Chris Benoit, the wrestler, was fantastic. Chris Benoit, the man, while respected and admired, was flawed and those flaws were revealed in the worst possible outcome. It’s a damn shame, but it’s not something we can white wash and forget either."
Onto the poll, with 315 votes, Mr. Benoit's average score is 3.5
Thanks, Cagesiders. I know this was tough one, but I felt we should look at every wrestler, good and bad alike. Also it's a testament to this community that you guys could discuss this maturely and in a fairly calm fashion. So, again, thank you.
Tomorrow's evaluation was given away a few days ago, and it should be a fun one. The legend...Terry Funk!