Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- NBC Universal's timeframe for exclusive bargaining rights ended last Friday, with no new deal having apparently been reached. That does not mean that NBC Universal is out of the race, just that WWE will now be able to test the market and negotiate with other companies. Those interested are said to include Disney, Fox, and Viacom. It has been said that WWE would like to remain with NBC Universal, and that it would take an overwhelming offer from one of the other companies to get them to jump ship. We should know more on Thursday, when WWE will present their fourth quarter finances from last year.
- There is a situation going on with the Elimination Chamber event and Dish Network. The show is not currently advertised on the company website and some subscribers have called and asked if it will be carried and apparently were told no. Meanwhile, the customer support for Dish on Twitter has said it is still in the line-up and will be offered. WWE has not made any public comments on this, nor has Dish Network up to this point. If you remember, DirecTV has threatened to pull WWE PPVs after the WWE Network launches but that wouldn't seem to be something that would happen until the launch of the Network, which won't happen until the day after the Chamber show. In short, no one really knows what the hell is going on but if you're a Dish Network subscriber, you might not be able to order the event.
- We mentioned yesterday that Cesaro has basically undergone a face turn and is in-line (likely behind two or three other guys) for a major push this year. This was further cemented last night after Raw went off the air. Each of the face Elimination Chamber participants (Sheamus, John Cena, and Daniel Bryan) took turns hitting their finishers on Dean Ambrose in the ring. Included amongst them? Cesaro. According to reports from those in attendance, he performed his "giant swing" on Ambrose and got 30 rotations. It is still unclear how the pieces will fall following Elimination Chamber in terms of how he will be used, and what will come of his Real Americans stable with Zeb Coulter and Jack Swagger. For a while, it appeared that Coulter and Swagger were having issues, and that Swagger might end up ejected from the group, but it now appears more likely that he and Coulter will stick together while Cesaro goes off on his own as part of a face turn.
- WWE is treating the NXT Arrival WWE Network exclusive as a full blown pay-per-view (PPV,) on par with its main roster PPVs. They've announced that there will be a pre-show, with a guest panel, hosted by Renee Young. The matches announced for the show include Cesaro vs. Sami Zayn in a 2/3 falls match, Bo Dallas vs. Adrian Neville in a ladder match for the NXT title, and Paige vs. Emma for the NXT Women's title.
- For those wondering what AJ Styles has been up to since leaving TNA, he has been very active on the independent scene and experienced his first defeat this past weekend at a House of Glory event to the Amazing Red. Styles is booked up with independent dates for the foreseeable future and there has been no word of him returning to TNA. His is a name worth watching, however, if/when Jeff Jarrett gets his new rumored promotion up and running.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.