Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- Sting is incredibly close to signing with WWE and the feeling is that the minor details are being ironed out. It's been said repeatedly that he's not a top priority and that's why he hasn't signed, and that's definitely the case, but it's also partially because all that's left is to dot the i's and cross the t's. There are still questions with creative but they are no longer insurmountable. It's at least possible that he will be a surprise appearance on the Feb. 24, 2014, episode of Raw.
- Speaking of which, there is a major angle planned for that show with Undertaker returning and Brock Lesnar coming to town. They might be drawing on the UFC 121 confrontation and going the shoot style route with this feud with something big planned to kick it off here.
- It's floating around that Hulk Hogan is going to be the guest host of WrestleMania 30 in the same way The Rock was guest host at WrestleMania 27. That wording is off because Rock got physical on that show and Hogan is expressly forbidden from as much. Still, he's involved and the creative details are still being worked out on his end as well.
- Not sure about this one but there's been some talk of WWE extending Raw on Feb. 24 as the lead in to the Network launch and operating the show like WCW used to close Nitro in the 90s. Basically, a big angle would be going down and the company would tell fans they were out of time on USA but to tune in to the Network where the post-show would be broadcasting that would have footage of everything that would normally happen off the air in front of the live audience. This sounds like a good idea but there are risks and you want the biggest audience possible for the biggest angles. So we'll see. Again, unsure of it, and these are all rumors, but there you go.
- The reason for Cesaro dropping "Antonio" from his name is apparently because Vince McMahon didn't think it was a tough enough name for a title challenger.
- Vince Russo really might be back with TNA. Or he might not be. No one knows but it seems like he is. But he might not be. But maybe. The Velvet Sky stuff with Chris Sabin sure makes it seem that way.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.