Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- As Keith Harris noted last night, WWE is worried fans are going to hijack Raw in Chicago on March 3 if CM Punk is not there. And while the two sides still aren't talking, the thought is there will be a strong push to rectify the issues between the two sides so he can make a big return on that show and work WrestleMania. It could involve letting him out of his contract early. So he comes back for TV at Raw, builds to WrestleMania XXX, works a match, and is given a write off soon after if that's what he so chooses at that time. This may not matter if the two sides don't come together very soon, but it is at least a possibility.
- As of today, the general feeling is that WWE officials are leaning toward inserting Daniel Bryan into the WWE World Heavyweight Championship match with Batista and Randy Orton at WrestleMania XXX. This one seems even more subject to change than most rumors, but this decision would make sense on a number of levels. In particular, adding Bryan to that match would generate far more fan interest in it than Batista and Orton have been able to generate on their own. Additionally, this could mean that the rumors of Roman Reigns taking on Triple H at have some more substance as well. If that is the case, look for WWE to work with the Shield's history as Triple H's enforcers over the past year to play into the story, and possibly for Seth Rollins and Dean Ambrose to get involved in the match in some way.
- We've been discussing to death the rumored changes at the top of the WrestleMania XXX card, especially after it was revealed a few weeks ago that WWE officials were feeling that their plans were "off the rails." But what does that mean for the event's mid-card? Cody Rhodes vs. Goldust is still expected to be on the card (even though Goldust has taken to Twitter to deny this rumor at any cost.) Another match being talked about is Sheamus vs. Ryback. This would likely mean that the previously rumored Ryback/Ultimate Warrior match is off the table, as is the long-rumored Sheamus heel-turn.
- Tell me if this surprises you: Rey Mysterio reportedly injured his knee at Tuesday's Smackdown taping. According to those in attendance, Rey landed awkwardly outside the ring during his match and stayed down by the ring steps. He removed his knee brace and was in obvious pain. Unfortunately, there is no word on if he was helped to the back after the match or any word on the possible severity of the injury.
- CM Punk has already walked out on WWE and Alberto Del Rio is strongly considering doing the same when his contract expires this year. Another veteran who probably won't be back when his deal is up is Christian. Christian is 40, recently had his first child, has been dealing with regular nagging injuries, and seemingly has been in "creative has nothing for you" territory for several years now. With so much young talent pouring in, there just isn't room for a member of the old-guard like Christian.
- Tensai is reportedly done as an active wrestler, and will be groomed by WWE for the announce desk. He has been doing work on some of the internet-only shows in this role.
- Indy stars Kevin Steen and Michael Elgin have been invited to an upcoming WWE tryout. Height is expected to be a potential issue for both men (each listed at 5'11.) Additionally, Steen's physical conditioning will be a concern. He has reportedly known about the tryout for some time now, and if he shows up out of shape, it will almost certainly cost him.
- It was recently revealed that Kurt Angle has been working without an ACL in his knee for several years now. He re-injured it while performing a moonsault off the top of a steel cage and the ensuing medical treatment revealed the injury. The ACL is a ligament in the knee that connects the femur to the lower leg bones, and it is possible to work without it but the ligament itself will never fully heal on its own.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.