Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- For those of you who took the news that Daniel Bryan was inserted into the Wyatt Family at the behest of Vince McMahon with no clear long-term plan in place, this item might make you feel a little better. Bray Wyatt has been tabbed as the next big main event player and creative has been given orders to make him a top priority. That's part of pairing him with Bryan. This should be a mutually beneficial relationship and by the time all is said and done, both will be headliners. That's the idea, anyway.
- There is currently a rumor going around that Hulk Hogan was backstage at the Wells Fargo Center last night in Philadelphia. The speculation, of course, is that Hogan was there to meet with WWE officials about his impending return to the promotion. (Editor's update: Dave Meltzer has stated this rumor is false and Hogan was not there.)
- Speaking of which, the working idea continues to be for the "Hulkster" to work a match at WrestleMania 30 on April 6 in New Orleans. If he doesn't get clearance from WWE doctors, he'll still be involved in the event in a way that ensures his music will play and fans will get to celebrate him at least one last time on the big stage.
- There haven't been many changes to the booking ideas for matches at WrestleMania 30 based on prominent rumors. A lot depends on Hogan's involvement as far as John Cena goes but The Wyatt Family and Daniel Bryan are wildcards, as are The Shield. The feeling as of now is they're all being groomed to be top stars who will bolster the undercard and act as back up plans for other major stars who may not end up getting high caliber spots. For instance, Cena could work with either group if a Hogan tag match falls through and so on and so forth. Everything is very fluid right now in regards to a lot of that. Triple H vs. CM Punk is as close to a lock as it's going to get and Batista is almost surely working with Randy Orton, especially considering the interaction between Orton and Ric Flair on Raw this week. WWE built an entire feud on Shawn Michaels "retiring" Flair and Batista being pissed about it. Don't be surprised if that, and the Evolution history, is a focal point of the program.
- After his big return on "Old School" Raw this week, there are now rumors floating that Jake "The Snake" Roberts is a virtual lock for this year's Hall of Fame class. That would make a ton of sense and, in fact, the only reason not to put him in before was because of his personal demons. Now that he's got that in order, or least enough that WWE feels comfortable enough to use him, there's no reason to think he won't go in. I'm not sure about WWE but Roberts proved to be a strong traffic generator here on the site. The video of his return is doing particularly well.
- No word on whether Roberts will do the Royal Rumble match but at least it can't be ruled out. It was his stated goal a number of months ago and it's now at least a possibility. There may not be any need for it now, though, after he already came back and got the big pop while using his snake on Dean Ambrose. What would be the point of a brief stint in the Rumble match?
- Although WWE already spilled the beans on it, and it was widely expected anyway, tonight's announcement from the company will, in fact, be the unveiling of the WWE Network. Be sure to tune in to the site for a live video stream and complete coverage of the entire press conference with all the details on what goes down as it happens.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.