Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- As of this writing, 2/3 of the Royal Rumble entrants have been revealed. While there are still 10 spots for WWE to play with in order to really surprise us, there are some who don't like that this many entrants have been revealed ahead of time. In order to accommodate the ever-expanding and deep roster, there has been at least some talk of attempting another 40-man Royal Rumble, possibly as soon as next year. WWE attempted a 40-man Rumble in 2011 and it met with mixed results. Now, four years later, WWE has a deeper roster than possibly ever before and is bringing in more and more part-time superstars each year for WrestleMania season. Expect this idea to be seriously evaluated by the officials backstage for potential use starting next year.
- In case you missed it yesterday, Hulk Hogan has not been cleared by WWE doctors for use in a match. In fact, an edict has come down that Hogan will not be booked in anything "physical." The most likely course of action is for Hogan to be named "host" of WrestleMania XXX while his WrestleMania I tag team match becomes the first "match" inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame.
- Another old timer who probably will be in a match at WrestleMania XXX is Sting. Talks between the two sides are still ongoing, but have apparently reached a point where they are discussing possible WWE "monikers" for Sting, with the leading candidate "A Man Called Sting."
- Santino Marella underwent neck surgery yesterday and will be out of action indefinitely. This makes it pretty clear that the guy who set the record for the shortest time in a Rumble match will not be a surprise entrant.
- In some very unfortunate news, former WWE superstar Matt "Rosey" Anoi'a, older brother of Roman Reigns, was hospitalized with congestive heart failure. His heart was enlarged and operating at only 25% efficiency when he was hospitalized. Hopefully he makes a full recovery.
- The TNA "mystery investor" storyline, who may or may not be former WWE superstar MVP, will be TNA's major storyline in the company through Bound for Glory in October. The "mystery investor" will act as the face party, undermining heel Dixie Carter wherever possible. Hopefully this goes better than TNA's past overly-long storylines (Aces and Eights most recently,) but I wouldn't get your hopes up.
- Two guys TNA might be moving on without are said to be Kazarian and Christopher Daniels. Their contracts with the company are reportedly up in April, and Daniels in particular is said to have one of the most expensive contracts still on the books. Barring a large paycut, it is unlikely that Daniels will remain with TNA.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.