Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- How's this for keeping secrets? Batista actually signed with WWE to return in October and had been negotiating with the company for some time before that.
- The new thought is that with Hulk Hogan, Ultimate Warrior, Batista, and likely Sting coming in for WrestleMania this year, Bill Goldberg will be the odd man out. It's still possible he signs but he's asking for more money than WWE is willing to pay, due partially to the fact that so many others are coming back. If they pay him a ton of money, how much value will they get out of it? Sure, he's Goldberg and he's still got name value as a returning attraction they could pump up but for what? A squash match against Ryback that never goes anywhere? The more stars WWE is finding and signing to work the show the less leverage Goldberg has. But he's content to sit on the sidelines if need be.
- Chris Jericho is an interesting case because he's available to work WrestleMania this year and could come back as soon as the Rumble as a surprise entrant for a second year in a row but there are conflicting stories on both sides. Some are saying he'll be back for sure, others that there are still no plans for it but the door is obviously not shut and he's not anywhere close to retirement.
- How many times have we heard this? Expect Christian back within the next month. Yeah, yeah, I know.
- Jeff Jarrett is definitely moving forward with a planned new wrestling promotion with Toby Keith. He's apparently been making calls to find out who is available to work for the new company, though most of the major talent with recognizable names are tied up right now.
- It's also now being said that Janice Carter was, in fact, trying to sell to Keith and it fell through.
- Sting is done with TNA. He was written off in storylines at the Genesis part two taping that will air next Thursday night on Spike TV. There are some within WWE who believe he's definitely going to sign and work a match at WrestleMania 30. If he does, expect him to work under a contract like he has with TNA. A year as a wrestler, then a retirement, and probably a Hall of Fame induction in 2015. His star power may seem to be gone based on TNA and all its problems, but remember how well received Rob Van Dam was when he came back and TNA couldn't have booked him any worse. It's possible the WWE marketing machine can make him a big deal again and they'll only need to do so for a short time. He's still the biggest star never to work for WWE, at least in the modern era. This would be a big deal.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.