Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- It is being reported by multiple sources that Hulk Hogan has verbally agreed to a deal to return to WWE. Rumors have been strong for over a week now that Hogan could sign at any time, and now it looks like it's going to happen. Exactly what he'll be doing upon his return to WWE television is anyone's guess at this point, but it is strongly rumored that he will be involved in WrestleMania XXX (WM30) in a big way. While WWE officials feel that it is unlikely that Hogan will be cleared to wrestle by doctors, one man is still pushing hard to be involved with Hogan and WM30. That man is Rowdy Roddy Piper, and the latest idea he is said to be pushing is for he and Hogan to team up to take on the Real Americans at the event. Piper and Hogan will also likely be connected at the WWE Hall of Fame ceremony, where it is all but confirmed that their WrestleMania I tag team match will become the first "match" inducted into the hall.
- Speaking of WM30, one match that is rumored to be all but set in stone is Triple H vs. CM Punk as a payoff to the Authority angle. However, some WWE officials are said to be pushing for a change to that plan, wanting Triple H to instead take on Roman Reigns. Reigns is said to be in for a "monster" push this year, likely starting at the Royal Rumble where there has been talk of Reigns breaking the match record for eliminations as a way to build him up. A match against Triple H at the biggest show of them all would certainly go a long way toward legitimizing Reigns as a top competitor. Still, this is said to be a "backup" plan at best.
- Just for fun, here is an early projected card for WrestleMania 30 based on the most recent rumors:
- Batista (Royal Rumble winner) vs. Randy Orton for the WWE World Heavyweight title
- Triple H vs. CM Punk (outside chance/backup plan of Roman Reigns)
- Undertaker vs. Brock Lesnar/Daniel Bryan/Sheamus (in order of likelihood)
- John Cena vs. Bray Wyatt
- Cody Rhodes vs. Goldust
- Shawn Michaels vs. Daniel Bryan (if Michaels agrees to come out of retirement)
- Hulk Hogan/Roddy Piper vs. the Real Americans (Jack Swagger and Antonio Cesaro)
Does it look like a card you would buy, Cagesiders?
- Another guy to keep an eye on throughout WrestleMania season is said to be Jake Roberts. As of right now, he does not have a deal in place with WWE and his appearance on Old School Raw was a "one-off"appearance. However, there has been some talk of getting Jake signed long term, possibly in connection with a Hall of Fame induction for "the Snake." Another rumored possibility is to get him involved in a storyline, and one that bears watching is the situation with the breakup of the Shield. Roberts has already connected with the Shield, dropping his pet snake Damien on a KO'd Dean Ambrose. Roberts possibly working with an active team against the Shield to set up an eventual WrestleMania match would be an interesting possibility.
- Yet another old timer who is apparently still in talks for coming to WWE is Sting. In case you missed it yesterday, check the CSS article about it here.
- One guy not involved in any storylines is Evan Bourne. Bourne has been out of action since early 2012 with various injuries and a Wellness Policy suspension, but has reportedly been ready for action for several weeks now. However, he has fallen into the dreaded "creative has nothing for you" void and has not been used.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.