Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- According to reports, the Ultimate Warrior has reached a business agreement with WWE. This move has long been expected following his involvement with the promotion of WWE 2K14. It also increases the likelihood of Warrior being inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame, possibly joining Jake "the Snake" Roberts, another name hotly rumored to be Hall of Fame bound this year.
- One guy who doesn't have a deal with WWE, despite strong rumors that his signing would be announced along with the announcement of the WWE Network, is Hulk Hogan. Still, it is believed that the signing could happen any day now. WWE is factoring Hogan into their WrestleMania XXX plans and it is thought that he could make his on-screen return at-or-around the time of Royal Rumble.
- Another guy who doesn't have a deal is Goldberg, despite an apparently erroneous rumor that went around yesterday stating that he agreed to work WrestleMania XXX for $1 million. Goldberg himself shot down the rumor on Twitter. While it's possible he eventually will sign, he apparently has not yet.
- With the announcement of the WWE Network now official, many expect that WWE's relationship with Hulu will likely end. That does appear to be the case, though an official announcment has not been made. Hulu aired replays of WWE's various television shows as well as serving as the home for NXT. Replays and NXT will be moved the WWE Network when it launches.
- Speaking of WWE Network, WWE's internal projections are for 1-2 million subscribers by the end of 2014, with growth to 3 million by the end of 2015. Another Network nugget is that WWE will advertise a "parental control" feature which parents can use to block racier materials from WWE's past from being played. It has previously been stated that they will also air a warning before those materials, including anything involving Chris Benoit.
- In big news for NXT (which is a slight spoiler as it was announced at a taping,) it has been announced that the next taping, scheduled for Feb. 27, will air live on the freshly launched WWE Network. It is not currently known if this will become a permanent concept or not.
- In other NXT news that will surely have some here worried, NXT Women's Champion Paige is reportedly dealing with an injury. She has not wrestled a match since November. There is no word on exactly what injury she is dealing with, but missing two months of action (even in NXT where taping is less frequent,) is not a good sign.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.