Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
RUMORS FOR THE DAY:
- AJ Styles reportedly signed a new three month contract extension with TNA, or at the very least an extension long enough to get the company past the Bound for Glory pay-per-view (PPV). There has been talk that the plan all along was for him to win the BFG Series and go on to win the title at the big show, but with his contract status as it is, that would seem beyond ridiculous. Then again, they put the belt on Jeff Hardy before he re-signed with the company and that worked out just fine. So who knows.
- It's also been noted that the promo he cut on Impact this week was totally his own and had no input from anyone at TNA. Creatively it was all his and that came through with his (completely correct) scathing blast at Dixie Carter and the rest of the company for always leaning on him after everything else they try fails miserably. Click here to watch the promo if you haven't seen it yet. It's a good one.
- Randy Orton is likely going to be in the WWE title picture until at least January, when multiple guys are expected back and the build to WrestleMania XXX really gets underway. He may not be the champion that entire time, and in fact you should expect he won't be, but he'll be around the main event until the year is out.
- Speaking of which, it is expected he'll drop the belt to Daniel Bryan at some point over the next month of shows, but there's no telling how long Bryan's title run will be. It could depend on early numbers for the Night of Champions event that he's headlining opposite Orton. This program is expected to headline that show, Battleground, and culminate at Hell in a Cell. Bryan winning the belt at Battleground before getting screwed out of it at Hell in a Cell seems possible but if they trust him to get through the cold months as champion and have much bigger plans for him at WrestleMania next year, it's possible he could lose at the first two PPV's but win at Hell in a Cell. We'll see.
- Speaking of Hell in a Cell, this might be the last year WWE uses it as an entire event as opposed to a stand alone gimmick match. With Triple H exerting more and more influence, the idea is the company will go back to using it sparingly to blow off major feuds that really deserve it. Obviously, that would make it far more special than simply forcing it on certain feuds that may not need it.
- John Cena's target return date, no kayfabing, is the Royal Rumble, or sometime close to it. It's possible they could bring him in as a surprise at the go-home episode of Monday Night Raw to announce he'll be in the Rumble match to boost the buyrate instead of having him be a surprise entrant like they did in 2008.
- Sheamus is also expected back around that time but the chances are far more likely that he'll be a surprise entrant in the Rumble match to meet that quota. That way it's done with a guy who is actually going to be a full time star for the promotion instead of a one-off, like Goldust.
- Last word on return dates: Kane could be back as soon as late September, early October.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.