Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- Folks backstage at WWE took notice of AJ Lee's Total Divas-bashing promo from Monday night and are raving about it. Currently, it is expected that AJ will defend her title at Night of Champions against a Total Divas cast member, most likely Brie Bella. That would also mean that AJ is playing the face, as the Bellas are clearly the heels in this scenario. Based on the positive reaction to AJ's promo, it is sounding like this feud might get more mileage than simply passing the belt onto Brie to use as a prop on Total Divas. It may also lead to AJ being featured on Total Divas as well.
- As some pointed out yesterday, WWE is highly interested in signing Prince Devitt, an Irish pro wrestlers currently wrestling for New Japan. Listed at 5'11, 180 lbs, the 32-year-old Devitt is a bit undersized but that is becoming less and less of a problem with each passing day in WWE.
- We noted yesterday that Jerry "the King" Lawler will be returning to singles action on September 13 for the first time since his on-air heart attack last year. He has now signed on for another match later in the month, taking on former WWE commentator Matt Striker at a Northeast Wrestling event.
- As TNA continues to release talent and allow the contracts of others to expire, speculation is always rampant about whether WWE will be interested in any of them. Well, despite some of the names out there, including long time TNA mainstay AJ Styles, WWE is said to have "zero interest" in anyone actively wrestling for TNA. The feeling is that WWE would rather develop their own talent in NXT rather than bring in any more outsiders at this time.
- With all of the other issues TNA is facing right now, the idea of Hulk Hogan having a match, possibly against Bully Ray at Bound for Glory which had been strongly rumored, has hit the back burner. Well, now it may no longer be an issue at all, as reports coming out have implied what we have all been thinking: that Hogan is in no shape for a singles match. The idea of Hogan playing a part in a tag team match is still a possibility.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.