Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- After appearing only on the pre-show at SummerSlam, the Shield is expected to get a bigger role on the main card at Night of Champions. Obviously, with the gimmick of the pay per view and each member being a champion, this makes sense. Recent rumors suggested, however, that the Shield may be falling out of favor with the WWE brass due to some conflicts with other talent. With them having a prominent role as enforcers for the new McMahon/Helmsley/Orton alliance on Monday night's Raw, this does not appear to be the case. If anything, it looks like they might be rising up the card headed into the autumn months (even if that means losing their titles at Night of Champions first.)
- Speaking of the Shield, Seth Rollins appears to injure his knee on Monday night. Considering he was involved in a Main Event match (taped the following Tuesday,) it clearly couldn't have been serious. It is being said that there was no real injury and that Rollins was simply selling throughout the night.
- As we noted earlier in the week, Rey Mysterio has been added to advertising for tonight's house show in Fresno, CA. He has also been added for Saturday and Sunday's events in San Diego, CA and Ontario, CA. This is Mysterio's home region and it makes sense to have him in the shows if he is close to returning. Other reports suggested that he may not return until September, so it is possible his appearances this weekend will be in a non-wrestling capacity.
- WWE has signed army veteran and former Temple football player Morkeith Brown to a developmental contract. The 28 year old, 6'5" Brown served in Afghanistan and reportedly passed up an opportunity to attend the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' training camp this summer.
- As you may have heard, AJ Styles' contract with TNA expires in September and there is a very real chance that he leaves the company for the first time in TNA's history. Negotiations are said to be ongoing with Styles, but TNA is trying to get younger (and cheaper) in terms of talent. It is said that Styles may have priced himself out of TNA's range, and that if they can get 4 or 5 younger talents for the same price as Styles, they will go that direction. TNA is said to be evaluating the contracts of all of their talent in a manner similar to how NFL teams evaluate against the salary cap, and that they don't want to invest too much of their budget in any one talent. (Compulsory reminder: Hulk Hogan's contract is said to be owned directly by Viacom, the parent company of Spike TV, not TNA.)
- Another TNA wrestler in the same situation as Styles is reportedly Ken Anderson, whose contract is said to be up in the near future as well. Like Styles, Anderson is a pricier veteran who TNA may consider moving on from in order to save some money.
- And now for a TNA talent who is already gone. SoCal Val announced via Twitter that she is leaving the company. She is yet another to leave in what has been a turbulent couple of months for the TNA locker room.
Thank u #ImpactWrestling ,the lockerroom & esp the fans for 9 wonderful years. No longer w the company. Really excited 2 see what's NEXT! 💗💋— $oCalVal (@SoCalValerie) August 23, 2013
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.