Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- The actual severity of John Cena's elbow injury (torn triceps) came as a surprise to many, especially with him possibly being out of action for 4-6 months. Cena was originally being treated for bursitis in the elbow, not expected to miss any time, when the triceps tear was discovered. The tear is said to be "minor," likely meaning less recovery time than a more severe tear. Still, it is believed that Cena will be taking several months off to recover. This is actually a good thing for his overall health as well, as he was said to be dealing with a plethora of other minor injuries that will now get time to heal. He is still being advertised for events starting on September 13, but it is believed that the advertising is simply out of date.
- Speaking of advertised appearances, Rey Mysterio is being advertised for August 23 live event in Fresno, CA. Mysterio has been out since just after Royal Rumble in January due to a string of knee surgeries.
- Yesterday, we mentioned that WWE's new tag team, Los Matadores, are a repackaged Primo and Epico. It is being said that Rosa Mendes will not be joining them, but Mascarita Dorada, a popular Mexican "Mini-Estralla" wrestler signed by the WWE earlier this year, will be. WWE earlier trademarked the names "Torito" and "Torlito," likely the new names for Primo and Epico.
- Sunday's (Aug 18) SummerSlam was said to be a legitimate sellout. Normally, talents and other employees are given comp tickets for friends and family when an event fails to sell out, but there were "very few" tickets to go around for the event.
- The fan that caused CM Punk to explode early in his Raw promo on Monday night (Aug 19) was reportedly not a plant, and Punk's tirade (including some cursing) was not part of the script. It is not believed at this time that any punishment will be coming Punk's way.
- TNA has reversed course on one of their more controversial policies and will return their X-Division matches to a one-on-one format, rather than the "always triple threat" format they moved to several months ago. (Insert joke about not having enough talent left to fill out the triple threat matches here.)
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.