Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- More details came out yesterday about John Cena's elbow injury, stating that surgery on the injured elbow has already been scheduled for after SummerSlam. This has raised concerns amongst the WWE universe about the quality of his SummerSlam match with Daniel Bryan, but those inside WWE aren't worried. Cena has worked through injuries before and he has one of the best workers on the roster today as his dance partner in Bryan.
- Some, including our own General, were underwhelmed by Big Show's long rumored return on Raw. In case you missed it, he showed up in street clothes and basically scared the Shield away by lumbering slowly towards them. The in-house audience got a little more, however, as Big Show teamed up with Mark Henry and Daniel Bryan to defeat the Shield in the post-show dark main event. Though it hasn't been officially announced, Show is expected to team up with Mark Henry at SummerSlam to take on Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns for their tag team titles.
- CM Punk again answered questions on day 2 of the Chicago Comic Con, and again, had some interesting things to say. When asked who his ideal WrestleMania 30 opponent would be, he gave four options: a show-closing rematch with Undertaker, John Cena due to their history, Daniel Bryan to main event the show, or "that pesky old rattlesnake," (Steve Austin.) He also said that the tension between he and Steve Austin is "100% legitimate," and just comes up whenever they're in a room together. He shied away from saying that he wants a match with Austin, saying that Austin is retired, but left the door open, saying that "it's up to (Austin)" and that he'll "fight everybody."
- I'm a sucker for stories about Vince McMahon and what makes him tick backstage, so here is an interesting one: Former WWE writer Dan Madigan, who is writing a graphic novel about former cruiserweight Ultimo Dragon, recently said in an interview that WWE, and Vince McMahon in particular, doesn't care for or understand the concept of masked wrestlers. Madigan says he pushed the idea of bringing in an entire division of masked wrestlers from Mexico to build a cruiserweight division, but Vince shot him down, saying that having any more than one masked wrestler (Rey Mysterio) would "confuse the fans." He did say, however, that Alberto Del Rio choosing to unmask himself to wrestle in America was Del Rio's decision. (This raises the interesting, and still unanswered, question of who decided to unmask El Generico/Sami Zayn.)
- TNA star Kurt Angle, infamously arrested for yet another DUI following an Impact taping two weeks ago, is not expected to return to TNA television "anytime soon." It sounds like TNA is taking his offense very seriously and hopefully Angle is taking his rehab seriously as well.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.