Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
Here we are six days away from WWE's Money in the Bank (MitB) pay per view, and rumors surrounding the event continue to run rampant. To start off today, we'll update and recap some of the bigger rumors about the show:
- Yes, Daniel Bryan is still the odds on favorite to win the "red" WWE MitB briefcase. Though there has been a lot of waffling back and forth over whether Bryan will take on John Cena directly for the title at SummerSlam, or if Cena's feud with Mark Henry will continue (possibly with Henry winning the title at MitB and potentially get Ryback involved once again.) Regardless of how it plays out, expect Daniel Bryan to come away from the event as part of the main event scene.
- If Bryan does win the "red" briefcase, it could be thanks to a little indirect help from Brock Lesnar. Lesnar is officially scheduled for the July 15 Raw following the event, but unofficially, it is being rumored that he could attack CM Punk before or during the MitB match that Punk is competing in. This would continue the feud between the current and former "Paul Heyman Guys" while also taking Punk out of the match without having him look weak.
- The "blue" World Heavyweight Title MitB match is a bit harder to predict, but rumors last week indicated that this could be a set up for Cody Rhodes to take home the briefcase. WWE seems to like having their MitB wiiners be somewhat unexpected and off-the-radar, not all that different than Dolph Ziggler was at this time last year. Rhodes certainly fits the bill in that regard.
And now back to the usual rumors:
- Free agent wrestlers Jay and Mark Briscoe made news this past weekend when they were spotted sitting in the front row at a WWE house show in Ocean City, MD. Of course, speculation was rampant that this was a sign that the brothers were signing with WWE, but that does not appear to be the case. The brothers often take Jay's son to WWE shows when they are in the area and this night was no different, having gotten tickets from friends who work for WWE. Additionally, it may be a little while before we hear anything about the pair's wrestling future. Jay's wife is pregnant with their second child and they may not return to wrestling until after that child is born.
- Kofi Kingston is being advertised for various shows in late July. He has missed the past two months after undergoing elbow surgery.
- In news that could possibly indicate a continued thawing of the icy relationship between WWE and the Ultimate Warrior, a photo has been leaked (Google it) of a copy of WWE 2K14 including special pre-order "Ultimate Warrior" DLC. It could just be a good photoshop job, but it isn't out of the question considering the past rumors that WWE has been trying to induct Warrior into the WWE Hall of Fame for years now.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.