Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- Yes, Sting has reportedly "sent feelers" out to WWE about possibly joining the world's largest wrestling promotion for a first time in his career. However, there are a number of factors that could hinder Sting making that jump. First, would WWE even want Sting at this point in his career? At 54, and quickly approaching his 30th year in the business, his best days are well behind him. Still, it is believed that WWE would be receptive the former WCW mega star in for the final leg of his career, expecting that he would be able to draw big for at least one or two pay per view appearances as an appeal to older fans who may not have followed his work in TNA. The other complicating factor is Sting's current contract with TNA, which is believed to run through the rest of 2013. That would give WWE only a few short months to sign him and cook something up for the Stinger at WrestleMania 30, and it is unlikely that TNA would let him out of his contract any sooner knowing he would just jump to their biggest rival. At any rate, this is a situation to keep an eye on headed forward.
- Yesterday's other big news was the reported 30 day suspension of Alberto Del Rio's personal ring announcer, Ricardo Rodriguez, for violating the WWE's Wellness Policy. (Early speculation is that Rodriguez was suspended for taking fat burners.) Thirty days may not seem like that many, but that means Del Rio will be without Rodriguez for four total Raws, four total Smackdowns, and the Money in the Bank pay per view where he will defend his World Heavyweight Title against Dolph Ziggler. There is definite concern that lukewarm reception Del Rio tends to get from the fans will be even worse without his personal ring announcer at his side. On the flip side, if Del Rio manages to improve the reaction he gets on his own, it may free up Rodriguez for use in a different capacity in the future. Either way, this suspension will have long term repercussions for both Del Rio and Rodriguez.
- When the "blue" Money in the Bank match participants were announced, Cody Rhodes and Damien Sandow were the first two most fans likely dismissed as having no shot of winning. Both have been solid mid card heels, but neither has seriously approached the main event scene in order to really be considered as a contender. Well not so fast...there are some rumors out there that this may be setting up for Rhodes to take home the blue briefcase, then turn face (something that has been rumored for some time) in a breakup feud with Sandow. WWE usually likes their Money in the Bank winners to be somewhat low key in order to increase the shock value of their win. (This has also been used to explain why they like to book the MitB holder so poorly prior to his cash in.)
- Updating the "Taz to WWE" rumor, it is believed that TNA will make every effort to resign him. However, it the previous rumors were accurate, it may be too little, too late as they indicated that Taz had already agreed to a one-year deal with WWE as an announcer.
- WWE is reportedly under some external fire because Chris Benoit will be included on the upcoming War Games DVD set. According to most sources, WWE is not planning to use Benoit in any way to promote the DVD set, but found it too difficult to create the product without using matches that included him. Vince McMahon's edict about using Benoit is "it is okay to acknowledge Benoit within a historical context but not in a promotional manner." To their great credit, WWE has done well sticking to this edict thus far and this DVD release does not seem to violate it.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you'd like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Please remember, these are merely rumors. Try not to take them too seriously, just have fun with them.